Ford Forums banner

No brakes!

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  MK XR8 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have an EFI XF and have used this forum in the past with some great responses. Unfortunately I have another problem and I am in need of some ideas again.

I had new bendix standard, front and rear brake pads fitted about 2 months ago, and also got all 4 discs machined at the same time.

Now about a month ago I was heading down the coast and as I reached the bottom of the Clyde Mountain I noticed that the brakes weren't working too well... at the time I passed it off as I must have used the brakes too much.

Now last weekend I took a trip down the coast, but this time I lost brakes about half way down the hill. Now I know something is definately wrong as I was taking it slow and not using the brakes much at all. I have been down the mountain many times years before with no problems.

Now the thing is that when I lost the brakes, the brake pedal remained hard...and there was no real definite burning smell from the brakes.

I should mention that the brakes work perfectly fine in everyday city driving.

Sorry for the long post. Any advice or ideas anyone? I have it booked in for a brake check on Friday...but some ideas in the meantime would be appreciated.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Maybe the rotors have worn thin,meaning they heat up real quick.D.B A sell new std rotors for $50 each so if you do it youself
it is better than machining old rotors all you need is grease and new seal.Slotted for around $100.00 each @ Auto pro etc..
www.dba.com.au

#3 ·
ebxr8240 said:
Maybe the rotors have worn thin,meaning they heat up real quick.D.B A sell new std rotors for $50 each so if you do it youself
it is better than machining old rotors all you need is grease and new seal.Slotted for around $100.00 each @ Auto pro etc..
www.dba.com.au
Yeah I suspected they may be the cause as I'm nearly positive they are the original rotors...which makes them 16 years old...

Thanks ebxr8240, I'm just getting some ideas together so when the mechanic comes back, he doesn't try and give me some story about whats wrong.... I've had my fair share of stories lately.

#4 ·
Yea I have saved thousands by doing my own work.But then spent a few on mods...I like listening to the B/S that the Mrs gets told when she often takes the car in for analisis...

#5 ·
I'm the same, always prefer to do my own work. It's the best way to learn as well. Also the fact that I am a full time student with a casual job driving and XF which chews 13L/100kms, it helps save money by doing things myself.

#6 ·
If the rotor was too hot for braking (called brake 'fade') the pedal would give a bit. It's strange that the pedal should remain hard.

It could be a multitude of things, the calipers could have seized due to excess heat, the brake fluid may have boiled (doubt it though).

When dealing with brakes, it pays to get the job done right, first time, it's your safety you are dealing with after all.

I wonder if DBA make cross drilled rotors for the VT...hrrrmm...

#7 ·
Yeah it is a bit strange I have to admit.

The pedal feels as it normally does when braking except the car doesn't slow down.

The fluid was changed when the pads were fitted so I doubt that could be the cause.

Seized calipers could be it.....not sure, guess I'll have to wait and see what the mechanic makes of it.

And I couldn't agree with you more Road Warrior, it's best to play it safe and get it done right when dealing with brakes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.