Ford Forums banner

No Power steering belt??? bad?

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Yagz 
#1 ·
Hey guys, just wondering if its OK to drive my car to work with the power steering belt off?? the idler pully has seized and I cant get one till tomorrow.

Cheerss

Brent

#3 ·
yes it ok, for short distances, it does place a bit of stress on things, and eat ya wheat bix, it almost impossible at low speed to turn the wheel, i know mine broke recently

#4 ·
Thanks boys, well its just to work and back... then maybe the wreckers in the morning. I will try not to stress her :)

Brent

#5 ·
Hi Brent79,

Don't buy one from the wreckers, you will only have problems with it because it will be from a high km car.

Try a bearing company, they sell complete new solid metal idle pulleys for about $50 and/or just take your old pulley in and they will press in a new bearing for about $10. CBC Consolidated Bearing Company is a good place to start.

Cheers Luke.

#7 ·
hmm my car throws PS belts occasionally... might just get a new idler from ford cos i've gone thru like 3 belts that it's stretched throwing off..

#8 ·
My Laser p/s belt broke many many weeks ago and I still haven't gotten around to fixing it. The steering was extremely heavy at first (about on par with a stock HQ Kingswood I once drove) but I've sort of gotten used to it.

But do get it fixed when you can.

#9 ·
Yeah my p/s belt kept slipping of (mainly when going over speed humps way too fast or getting airborne up carpark at uni).

But i was caused from a leaking p/s pump. So i replaced (after many fights with the g/f that it wasn't my fault it kept coming off..) The pump was causing the belt to corrode i think.

however i only have a spanner set to 22mm so i was using a shifter for the pulley (the big one). And it is now pretty shit..

Does anyone know the true size of the big nut on the p/s pulley (my guess is about 24-25mm) cause i think i should buy a seperate spaner..

oh yeah, and i had real fun driving with out the p/s belt. Resorted to drving wrong way around traffic islands to save the arms (in residential areas) a couple of times...

#10 ·
lol
I drove with no power steering for 3 weeks due to lack of funds, got used to it after that long. Then when I fixed it it felt so light it wasn't funny!
Had no problems what so ever (except parking at a shopping centre)
Ta
Cam

#12 ·
Well i went against some of yer suggestions and got one from the wrecker. $5 and it seems to spin fine. Will see how long it will last. Oh yeah, while im at it... I cant seem to stop my alternator belt from squeeling!!! Ive tried everything!!! Ive even tried roughing up the surface with a file (belt wont like it) those damn pulleys on em are far to small! :(

Brent

#13 ·
tighten it more, mine had to be insanely tight to stop it from squeeling

#14 ·
haha i drove two weeks with out a power steering belt on my car as it kept spitting it off, id drive places where it was easy to park, it was so embarrasing people would think i didnt know how to drive! i swear id wake up with swore arms, it was torture!!!

#15 ·
SileNceR said:
tighten it more, mine had to be insanely tight to stop it from squeeling
yeh I 2nd this Mine had to be fairly tight to stop squealing! If you get a new belt tighten it up a lot more than you normally would and the new belt will stretch slightly which will ease the pressure on the bearings etc and you should be right

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.