Noisy Brakes/Diff Please Help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2004, 22:07   #1 (permalink)
XF 250 4.1 XFLOW TURBO

Noisy Brakes/Diff Please Help

ok guys after i put my XF in to get the road worthy i had to replace the rear pads so i got new bendex advance pands and put in put the car in and driving it home we noticed a noise a loud roaring noise a wheel speed, it goes away when u pull the hand brake on or apply a fair bit of pressure to the brake pedal, it is really bad on cold mornings, and we have tried new rear wheel bearings and winding the handbrake cable in and out and this hasnt worked can anyone please help me
blueovalxfboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2004, 23:02   #2 (permalink)
Team Galaxy Try Hard

Re: Noisy Brakes/Diff Please Help

I cant help you, but i've got a similiar problem on my AU XR6. Everything was fine till I got a service done. They rotated the wheels and tightened the handbrake, and ever since then, the back drivers side wheel (if not both back wheels) makes a squeak and grind noise at low speeds. If you play with the hand brake it goes away for a little while (the squeak, not the grind sort of noise).
Nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 20:01   #3 (permalink)
XF 250 4.1 XFLOW TURBO

yeah well im fine up to about 55km/h but after that to around 80 km/h its shocking but yeah i can pull the handbrake on and it goes away then i can leave the handbrake on 1st click and its fine but its not smart
Old 05-05-2004, 23:44   #4 (permalink)
XF 250 4.1 XFLOW TURBO

PROBLEM SOLVED

when we changed the pads the inner pads had anty rattle clips on them and when we bought new ones they didnt come with them so i got the ones off the old pads and fitted them and no more sound i hope this helps
Old 05-07-2004, 22:41   #5 (permalink)
XF 250 4.1 XFLOW TURBO

nope i lied its back again anyone got a clue
Old 05-08-2004, 02:40   #6 (permalink)
FPV-TC ACT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueovalxfboy
nope i lied its back again anyone got a clue
Interesting one this. Could be few things. How many Ks have you done on the new pads? If not many, go out and find a clear stretch of road, from 100kmh or quicker hammer the brakes down to stop. Do this a few times to help the pads find "memory" - all rotors will have some grooves in them from past use and new pads essentially are flat, meaning they might rub on high and low spots on the rotor. Hammering the brakes a few times may help bed them in to the rotor's custom shape. You might need to do it several times, but make sure you let the set cool down between runs by driving for a few Ks without heaving braking.

Good luck. Let the thread know how you go.

P.S Having a couple of mates in the car will help as you are essentially pulling up more weight and the pads have to work harder.
bushute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 00:17   #7 (permalink)
XF 250 4.1 XFLOW TURBO

thank mate but im not sure if that will work as the pads have been in for about 2000 km's now so not sure if it will work
Old 05-09-2004, 05:10   #8 (permalink)
GUN.40L

if you read the instructions on the bendix brakes it actually says the opposite to hammering the brakes hard, drive up to 50km or so and slightly touch the brakes till the car is about to stop, do this about ten tiems and they wear in, slamming the brakes at high speeds actually reduces the life of the brake significantly.. this goes for bendix anyways....
Old 05-09-2004, 22:25   #9 (permalink)
FPV-TC ACT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueovalxfboy
thank mate but im not sure if that will work as the pads have been in for about 2000 km's now so not sure if it will work
2000kms - yeah probably wont have too much of effect. Then again, its probably worth a go - doesn't sound like you've got anything to lose at this stage.

Re following the Bendix instructions and "soft" stopping, I think if we always follwed manufacturers recs then we'd all be doing 60kmh, in the dry, with a nun in the passenger seat. I assume you follwed the instructions on the box when you installed them? hence the "sledge hammer" approach I proposed - sometimes you just gotta try a diff approach. Its worked for me in the past, mind you that was with Ferodo pads and AP rotors on advice from a pro.
bushute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes