Noisy Tyres on BA XR6 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2004, 03:45   #1 (permalink)

mad Noisy Tyres on BA XR6

Travelled 19000kms on my Dunlops and have just had a wheel alignment and tyre rotation. I have now noticed significant noise from the front end, originally thought it was a wheel bearing. Took into a dealrship in Perth after having travelled acroos from Adelaide. He took it for a drive and said there was a noise from the front and asked if I had had a wheel alignment and a tyre rotation recently to which I replied in the positive. He said that the noise was not a wheel bearing but noisy tyres a common occurrence on BA with the sports tyres and there was absolutely nothing you can do about it except put the back ones onto the front again to eliminate the noise. Apparently this was also common in AU's he said with the move from 15's to 16's on the later models.
He did say that if the problem had developed at around 3000kms Ford would have replaced them under warrnaty but there was no guarantee that the next set wouldnt be the same.
Anybody else had similar experience with the Dunlops 235/17's?
coombesplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2004, 03:54   #2 (permalink)
XR82GO

Re: Noisy Tyres on BA XR6

yeah same deal here with dunlop ss001's in 235/45/17 on the ute. But i picked up my ute today with the new 18" rims on it and 235/40/18 Dunlop Direzza's (FM901 replacment) and they are extremely quiet and stick like glue Extremely happy with these.

sylox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 15:05   #3 (permalink)

If they're the SP3000's, yes, they are going to be noisey. It's just the way the tyre's made. Basicaly, the larger the grooves in the tyre, the more noise they generate. FM901 are noisy as hell - something shocking!

As sylox said, Direzza DZ101 are pretty quiet, and also Le Mans LM702. They're sticky and quiet. Not cheap though, but good tyres were never cheap.
MrPlow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 06:12   #4 (permalink)

Yeah however the tyres were quiet up until the rotation and alignment, so why would they be noisier now than before?
Old 09-02-2004, 15:23   #5 (permalink)

Maybe they adjusted your tyre pressure, or the rear ones were more worn than the fronts, which CAN happen ecpecially with cars like ours (Falcons). If it's an issue with you, stick with them for a while, wear them out as soon as you can and get a set of the other tyres we mentioned.

Not trying to scare you, but those DZ101s go up to $350 a tyre, depending on who you buy them from. However, shop around and you may easily save $70-80 A TYRE!
MrPlow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 17:57   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

the SP9000s on my BA are VERY noisy except on smooth surfaces .. but I just turn the radio up.
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 02:54   #7 (permalink)

Still got a lot of tread left on all four so I guess turning up the radio may be my only option for the time being. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 09-04-2004, 05:35   #8 (permalink)

The noise is not something that will start hapening overnight. You have been fobbed off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes