Ohlins shocks in AU? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2004, 04:36   #1 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Ohlins shocks in AU?

I was wondering if anyone had fitted Ohlins shocks to their AU, or preffereably IRS. My mate has an R33 Skyline which came (not from factory) with Ohlins shocks when he purchased it.

The Ohlins are a harsh ride and a tad noisy so he removed them an fitted a set of Koni adjustables. They are just sitting in his shed collecting dust and are in great condition and he's willing to flog them off to me for a great price.

Which brings me to the point of why I made the thread. SKylines have mcpherson strut rear end, so it's coil over dampener like the AU double wishbone, so there's no problem there. I wonder what the chances are of them fitting though?

I will be getting King S/L (front) and SS/L (rear) springs before the end of the year and wouldn't mind putting some nice shocks in but don't feel like forking out nearly a grand for konis.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2004, 04:50   #2 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Re: Ohlins shocks in AU?

Mate id check with a suspension place, but im not sure they will fit.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 08:01   #3 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Yeah I will definately find out if they will fit before I do anything. But just thought the off chance someone would know, or would know what to check to find out.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Old 08-25-2004, 03:09   #4 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Probably not a really commin question mate, but it would be nice if they did, they are very good shocks.
Old 08-25-2004, 20:02   #5 (permalink)

Get the part no from the koni's he fitted & get a suspension shop to see if they will fit an au.
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:03   #6 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

That's a good idea Gambit. But I'm curious as to why the ohlins were making noise on his car in the first place. Maybe they weren't the right ones originally? or would there be no way that they would have even fitted on the car? I wish we could have compared the two shocks while they were out.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)

Old 08-26-2004, 19:00   #7 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

What sort of noises was it making mate?
Sounds a bit odd.
Old 08-27-2004, 20:43   #8 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Just over bumps or corrogated surfaces it woukd make a noise like alot of parcel shelfs on hatch backs make if you know what I'm talking about. Like a sort of knocking/rattle sound. I didn't find it to be bad though. You could only really hear it when you were listening, so that was when he turned the stereo off. Otherwise you couldnt rally hear it. He was just fussy and hes also happier about the softer ride in the konis. But I know how good that car handled down the great ocean road with those ohlins, so I've got a great opportunity to pick up some extremely good shockers for an awesome price. I'll take one in to a suspension place some time and see if they can help me. If they will fit then they're almost certainly a goer in my car.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)

Old 08-28-2004, 02:42   #9 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Mine makes the same sort of sound, thats why im looking for new shocks and springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes