Ford Forums banner

Park brake cables (XB)

8K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  XBHardtop 
#1 ·
I am finishing off a 9" Disc brake conversion on my XB Coupe which originally had drums. The bracket for mounting the rear cables is in the wrong place for a disc setup (too close too the diff). I was wondering if someone with an original disc setup could give me an idication of the correct position for the rear cable bracket.

Cheers,
Tony.

#2 ·
I assume you mean the retainer for the front of the cable on the car.It is the same for disc and drum.Discs use shorter cables than drum.Retainer for rear of cable is an 8" long brk welded to the top of the spring pack brk between diff saddle and springs.XB 9" factory discs use long lever park brake actuator.(not rotary type)

#3 ·
WBT56... You are right I should have been more specific as I do mean the bracket for the front of the rear cable. I also have the parts drawings. Looks as though the cable should mount further forward. They show the position of the drum brake bracket which is welded on the chassis. If I mount the "disc" cables to this they appear to be way too long & the disc cables have brackets with bolt holes in them. I have got the rear mounting bracket already. Should've also mentioned cables & diff are from a '74 LTD.

Cheers

Tony

#6 ·
I did a similar conversion but used an XC disc brake rear end. I just used an XC sedan hand brake cable. There are two front outer cable parts that you can't mount but they just float on the cable anyway. So they're aren't a hassle.

XC has a one piece cable from front to rear. XA/XB has a silly set up.

I drove around with no handbrake for a year pulling my hair out. I like the idea of having a handbrake.

All done now not a drama

Brenden

#9 ·
Planning to go to Pick a Part on Saturday and see if I can locate an XB/C for parts. Might get lucky and stumble across a factory disc model...yeah right.

Right now the engine I'm running is a 30 over 460 with some good bits & some bad bits in it which will give me plenty of fun improving.

gregaust .. just how hard is it to build up one of those bulletproof C4's?. Also, will a C4 from a 351M bolt right up to the BB if I use one of those PA spline adapters for my converter?.

Cheers.

#10 ·
Very interesting,i am into big blocks myself and have built up a few for friends in XD,XE+a ZJ and am about to do a bronco..
The c4's are pretty easy to build up.To date i have stuck with building the C6's to go with the big blocks mainly due to the cost of getting a bellhousing sent here from U.S to suit a c4 to B.B..Sometime soon i hope to do a roller c6 so this should free up some of the power that the c6 sucks up.
You are correct about the 351M.The B.B to c4 b/housings came from late 70's u.s cars with 351m + 400's.
If you are going to do your own buildup i can email a fair bit of info from different sources and also the instructions a friend did up how to fit roller bearing thrusts to a c4....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.