Polishing Mag Wheels - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2004, 06:11   #1 (permalink)
Trust meeeee, It's Stock

Polishing Mag Wheels

Hi,
I just got some second hand mags and lets say they need a bit of a clean and polish, what can you recommend.
XpCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2004, 16:25   #2 (permalink)
Whats traction?

Re: Polishing Mag Wheels

Provided they are just chrome underneath try spraying them with brake parts cleaner, let them sit for a couple of minutes, then hose 'em off.

Then attack them with a tube of autosol metal polish, should come up a treat.

If they're not chrome try meguires mag cleaner... if they're not too dirty it should do the trick.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:37   #3 (permalink)
Trust meeeee, It's Stock

Thanks for the info on the chrome polishing will come in handy for other parts. They are actually Alloys (15" Globes). Looks Like I might sand/water blast them and respray them. Might be easier.
Old 07-24-2004, 00:39   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpCoupe
Thanks for the info on the chrome polishing will come in handy for other parts. They are actually Alloys (15" Globes). Looks Like I might sand/water blast them and respray them. Might be easier.
Wet/dry sanding will do the trick. Then the polish, then the sunnies!
Start with 600-800 grit (wet/dry) paper sanding wet all the way up to 2000 grit wet/dry. Polish with autosol afterwards... Have a go, you might surprise yourself...
Tickford-less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 01:33   #5 (permalink)

I've used this purple stuff.....think it's called "purple polish" with success....it's expensive, but you don't need to use much.....we use it on the fuel tanks on our trucks and it's damn good....just smear on, let it dry for 10minutes or so and literally wipe off the powdery remains....absolutely no rubbing etc.....

http://members.dodo.net.au/~omegapower/XD.html
rigidshovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 01:38   #6 (permalink)

let me know if u need more info and I'll get off my butt and go to the shed and read the label......
Old 08-28-2004, 05:59   #7 (permalink)
Death by Ford

I too have used Autosol with good success on corroded Armorlite mags and old motorcycle cases. Initially it's a lot of hard work & elbow grease to get them to a mirror finish, but after that it's pretty easy to keep them shiny. My mate has a unique method of polishing his centrelines with Autosol . He puts his diff up on jack stands, starts up the motor, cranks the throttle open 1/2 way, places it in drive, holds a rag coated with Autosol to the rim, polishes the rear wheels first and then swaps the fronts to back. Looks crazy in motion, but is actually quite effective. A supply of old towels is handy for removing polishing paste when polishing, as you can wash them out and reuse them later. If you could find some cloth buffing/polishing wheels for a drill, that would also work quite good with the right polishing paste. If their really corroded, you could always take them to a chrome plating shop as they can polish just about anything to brand new condition. There is also some stuff made by Chemtech, CT11 or CT12 i think, that is used to clean alloy mag wheels, works quite well, but its an acidic/alkaline(bit nasty) type cleaner and leaves the alloy with a clean white finish.

Hey rigidshovel, that ute is the ducks guts mate. I love black cars, i own a 351 XB falcon thats totaly black. I woudln't mind finding out a bit more about this "purple polish" stuff myself. Where do you buy it?
CLEVELAND JUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 06:23   #8 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

yep Autosol is very good..

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 19:13   #9 (permalink)

sorry about the delay.....the polish has California Custom on it, and it's definately called Purple Polish

can get it from HiWay Truck accessories on Grand Junction Rd I think....which is pretty much on the corner of south road.

send some pics of your XB......

This toy has to go http://members.dodo.net.au/~omegapower/XD.html
Old 09-27-2004, 21:58   #10 (permalink)
Trust meeeee, It's Stock

Well I have done the wheels and they look great.

I ended up using 220 sand paper then 600 wet and dry. Then Autosol and mothers polish and they look like new. Will try to put up some before and after shots tonight.

www.XSeriesFordClub.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes