Ford Forums banner

possible new break system for probe

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  anomaly 
#1 ·
Hey guys whats up I was going through my Super Street mag reading on the project impreza and saw they did a break upgrade on the car and it was done by hpracing, so I went to www.hpracing.com and I saw they have a stage 1 and stage 2 break kit for the mazda 626 well I called them up asking them if that would fit our car since you know they are basicly the same car they were not sure so they are going to get ahold of the engineers in japan and i am suppose to call back tomarow if so guys we might have a nice little break system here for some you hard core racers that are putting out some Some HP but not with much breaking to help you stop.

#4 ·
Bryan's ultimate wisdom...

Oh fo sho... ain't it the truth....

#5 ·
BryanPendleton said:
My car is broke enough as is. . . . I don't need another "break" system

:s5

That would be cool if our cars could "brake" dance, but then the car would "break" when we wanted it to stop :dj:

But anyway, ncspeed I understand what you are talking about... thanks for the info. Keep us posted on any new info. :thup:

#6 ·
I just checked www.hpracing.com and NOPI is their distributor.

:bigeyes:

064+0208

HP MOTORSPORTS - Big Brake Kit - Front - HI-PERF f/ 15 Wheels - 6 Piston Calip, 2pc Drilled & Slotted Rotors, S-Steel Lines, Perf Pads

$2,011.05

064+0207

HP MOTORSPORTS - Big Brake Kit - Front - HI-PERF f/ 16 Wheels - 6 Piston Calip, 2pc Drilled & Slotted Rotors, S-Steel Lines, Perf Pads

$2,448.24

#7 ·
Well just got off the phone with Hp and there stage 2 kit I belive is the one they offer for the 626 will fit our cars yes it is 2k for this but I dont think any one as of this moment offers anything like this for our car I dont even think bear breaks offers anything for our car.

#8 ·
http://www.hyedracyl.com/

This kit features the following parts for a price of $1150:

12.2" Rotors (0.81" thick with 32 straight cooling vanes standard)
4 Piston Racing Brake Calipers (major manufacturer)
Braided Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Brake Pads (for street or Solo II use)
Mounting Brackets and Hardware
Installation Instructions
Additional Cost Upgrades Include:

Slotted 12.2" Rotors ($50 extra)
Heavy Duty Brake Pads for Solo I or Track Use ($23.22)
1.25" Thick Rotors with 32 Curved Cooling Vanes ($14.88)
1.25" Thick Rotors with 48 Curved Cooling Vanes ($60.62 - shown below)
Drilled and Slotted 13" Diameter, 1.00" Thick Rotors (cost/availability still TBD)

Recomended by me :thup:

#10 ·
keep in mind that with a 13" brake rotor, you'll have to have at least 17" rims to fit them in there. so in addition to the kit, you have to buy new rims and tires. that's where it gets expensive. the hy-dra-cyl kit will fit in a 16" rim. 6-piston calipers would be nice though.

#11 ·
I would just be interested in getting a 4 piston stationary caliper that would mount to the factory location and use OEM rotors. No one offers that. I've heard that RX7 calipers might work.

#12 ·
6 piston is overkill

I run the 4 piston caliper setup from www.rr-racing.com for 1000$ with 12.1" rotors and this is absolutly sufficient for Auto-X and Roadrace. Its very close to the hye-dra-cyl setup, only that the hye-dra-cyl setup is CNC-machined, the RR-Racing is not! And the hye-dra-cyl will fit the stock swirlies, the RR-Racing won't!

I had this brakes for about 9 month now and have tested them on Hallet, Blackhawk Farms and small SCCA auto-x events.

The 4 piston caliper setup will not fade, even after 45 min. continuous racing. I even had another passanger in the car during that long run, so more weight and still no fade.

So for 1000$ instead of 2000$ you get the same experience. Unless of course you run wheel-to-wheel events that require the best of the best of the best :D

Thomas

Attachments

#14 ·
I think fabricating the mount would save you around 100$. BUT its a rather tidious job since you better exactly mount the caliper right, so you have even pressure on the rotor.
I think its not worth all the research since rafi(rr-racing) and Greg (hye-dra-cyl) have already done all this work and they don't charge a lot for their research work.

Thomas

#16 ·
well..thats correct...
but don't you think the kits that are already available are suitable enough for your use?
Or you need it for some special application?
I mean all powwa to ya, but it would be too much research for me to find all the correct parts and the right setup so my brakes would still work correctly.
And right now i can't complain about my setup. Brakes like a mofo.

Thomas

#17 ·
All good points, but my thoughts were more along the lines that I would like to upgrade my stock brakes, yet at this point it seems as though the R-R kit is probably overkill. I'll be running 16" or 17" wheels in the summer, but I'd like to retain my stock 15's for the winter. This way I could shave some costs on the kit itself, as well as winter tires. But then again, perhaps my best option is to try just upgrading pads and rotors first...

G
#18 ·
Bolt N' Play?

So Scummer,
Question... If I go get this system today, will I be able to bolt it right on? If yes, will it work with stock 16s(93Pgt) or will i have to increase wheel size? I remember it being mention for sure about 13's but not for the 12.1's. I appreciate any info you can give me.

Repect,
-Yah

#19 ·
Re: Bolt N' Play?

Yahquan said:
So Scummer,
Question... If I go get this system today, will I be able to bolt it right on? If yes, will it work with stock 16s(93Pgt) or will i have to increase wheel size? I remember it being mention for sure about 13's but not for the 12.1's. I appreciate any info you can give me.

Repect,
-Yah
Yah,
only the 12.1 rotors with 0.85 thickness will fit with the stock swirlie wheels. Do the 93GT's have stock swirlies?
And only the big brake kit from Hye-dra-cyl is the one that fits stock wheels.
The RR-Racing big brake kit will not fit stock wheels, since the setup is slightly different. I have the RR-Racing one and i was in for a big surprise after i couldn't mount my stock wheels anymore. So i got the Kosei K1 Racing and it fits nicely with those.

I have seen the Hye-Dra-Cyl kit with my own eyes on stock swirlies, so you can be assured its a pure swap of calipers and rotors. Its just a different bracket setup than the RR-Racing kit.

Now those differences aside, both kits are GREAT big brake kits and i run mostly 1 - 1.5 mile roadrace tracks and the brakes never let me alone. Even during an endurance test of 45 min. continous racing.

No cutting or welding involved with both kits. Those are pure bolt on items.

Thomas

#20 ·
www.stillen.com

Come great brake systems there!

#21 ·
ncspeed said:
Hey guys whats up I was going through my Super Street mag reading on the project impreza and saw they did a break upgrade on the car and it was done by hpracing, so I went to www.hpracing.com and I saw they have a stage 1 and stage 2 break kit for the mazda 626 well I called them up asking them if that would fit our car since you know they are basicly the same car they were not sure so they are going to get ahold of the engineers in japan and i am suppose to call back tomarow if so guys we might have a nice little break system here for some you hard core racers that are putting out some Some HP but not with much breaking to help you stop.
Hey guys, check out www.stillen.com for their brake systems. I found vented cross-drills for the 1st gens at $179. They also have other equipment available. Check it out! :badass: :bs4:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.