Power Steering Hose Nightmare - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2005, 20:24   #1 (permalink)

mad Power Steering Hose Nightmare

I am going nuts trying to figure out why I can't get a replacement 'Pressure Hose' to fit my 1982 Ford Fairmont. The listings show two possible Steering Racks for the car, a 'Ford Rack', and a 'TRW Rack.' I bought the hose for the 'Ford Rack', and the fitting at the Rack end, was too big, and the metal tube didn't match the bends of the old hose. I returned that hose, and bought the one for the 'TRW Rack.' The hose for the 'TRW Rack' matched the old hose in every detail, except for one very important one. On the old Hose, there is a small piece of the metal tube that extends beyond the threaded fitting on the Hose, at the 'Rack' end, by about 1/4 of an inch. On the new hose, the metal tube extends at least 3/16 of an inch, and therefore I'm unable to get the threaded fitting on the Hose end to catch the threads in the 'Power Steering Rack.' What gives here?
bencar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2005, 17:05   #2 (permalink)

Re: Power Steering Hose Nightmare

If its an 82 Fairmont they dont have a steering rack so that could be some of your problem. They only have 1 hose listed for the 82 model which should be a HPS008 & this should fit both V8 & 6cyl cars. If its a 92 then there are a few part numbers.
125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 20:38   #3 (permalink)

frown Re: Power Steering Hose Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125
If its an 82 Fairmont they dont have a steering rack so that could be some of your problem. They only have 1 hose listed for the 82 model which should be a HPS008 & this should fit both V8 & 6cyl cars. If its a 92 then there are a few part numbers.
The car is definitely a 1982 Model Ford Fairmont Futura, and it definitely has 'Rack & Pinion' 'Power Steering.' I'm beginning to wonder though if maybe it's a case of the aftermarket replacement hoses, just not being made exactly to original equipment specifications.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:13   #4 (permalink)

1982 = XE and they had a bendix-bishop worm/roller variable rate power steering box. They are definitely not a rack and pinion setup.

What does the compliance plates give read as the model and year of production?
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 19:12   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silicon
1982 = XE and they had a bendix-bishop worm/roller variable rate power steering box. They are definitely not a rack and pinion setup.

What does the compliance plates give read as the model and year of production?
1982, and, it does not have a worm and roller steering box, but there is a rack bolted to the front subframe.
Old 03-23-2005, 19:34   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencar
1982, and, it does not have a worm and roller steering box, but there is a rack bolted to the front subframe.
Ok if it doesn't have a normal box with the pitman arm which connects to the draglink then it must be a conversion of some sort. This would suggest a custom made hose when they converted it. I would suggest taking the old hose to hydraulics firm and getting an exact replacement made.
Old 03-23-2005, 19:46   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok if it doesn't have a normal box with the pitman arm which connects to the draglink then it must be a conversion of some sort. This would suggest a custom made hose when they converted it. I would suggest taking the old hose to hydraulics firm and getting an exact replacement made.

Not a conversion, and the Books do show either a TRW Rack (some specifying an 8 cyl car, some not), or a Ford Rack (some specifying 6 cyl car only, some not). Basically this thing is the same as a Mustang of that year, in that it shares the same chassis with the Mustang. Tried a different Parts Store today, and if it ever stops raining long enough, I'll crawl back under this thing, and try this latest 'guaranteed to fit' replacement hose.
Old 03-23-2005, 19:56   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencar
Not a conversion, and the Books do show either a TRW Rack (some specifying an 8 cyl car, some not), or a Ford Rack (some specifying 6 cyl car only, some not). Basically this thing is the same as a Mustang of that year, in that it shares the same chassis with the Mustang. Tried a different Parts Store today, and if it ever stops raining long enough, I'll crawl back under this thing, and try this latest 'guaranteed to fit' replacement hose.

Are you in the USA?

If that hose fails then getting one made should still solve the problem.
Old 03-23-2005, 20:02   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Are you in the USA?

If that hose fails then getting one made should still solve the problem.
Yes, NJ to be exact.
Old 03-26-2005, 19:29   #10 (permalink)

Smile Re: Power Steering Hose Nightmare

Finally found hoses to fit that Fairmont. However, the 'Return Hose' had to be bent almost 45 degrees upward, and another 45 degrees forward, in order to get it to clear everything. Seems that this thing did indeed have a 'Ford Rack' in it after all, just that these aftermarket replacement hoses aren't all they're cracked up to be.

Thank g-d that's over with!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes