Power steering problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2003, 18:23   #1 (permalink)
brenlam

Power steering problem

My EA has a major problem. When i turn the wheel it makes a grinding noise and sort of vibrates. I found the problem theres no power steering fluid so i filled her up and started going again it was fine for another 30 mins then the noise happened again so i filled her up again and 30 mins passes and sure enough it happened again. The power steering pump was totally empty to the point at which i could see right down into the pump. I couldnt see where the oil was coming out because it was dark and i dont have anymore fluid so i wont try it again. ill take it into ford and see what the problem is (hopefully its the pump or the hose because both of them are covered under the ford lifetime warranty). Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2003, 19:12   #2 (permalink)

lifetime warranty??? does this mean, that even if your car hasn't been serviced by ford for it's entire life that you can still get a free replacement??

BTW, the grinding noise, does this only happen at slow speeds??

Dave
antigravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 20:13   #3 (permalink)
brenlam

When my car was bought by the original owner in 1991 Ford had what they call lifetime warranty. So when the original owner paid for some parts to be replaced in 1993 (lifetime warranty on parts ended in 1994 i think) the parts that were replaced came with a lifetime warranty (basically their warranty stated that all parts replaced should last forever unless mistreated).

For me this was front and rear shox, thermostat, power steering hose, power steering pump, radiator cap and a couple of others. Ford ended this warranty idea in 94 because they were losing too much money, too quickly. But all parts that were replace by ford before 1994 (with a reciept of course) should be covered under lifetime warranty. You can usually tell because next to the part name on the reciept there is usually an asterix if the part has lifetime.

On a different note the grinding isnt anywhere near as noticeable at high speeds.

No continual services (by ford or anyone for that matter) aren't requied to still recieve lifetime on all parts covered
Old 03-08-2003, 22:52   #4 (permalink)
brenlam

ok. I had a look today and i cant pinpoint the leak. The steering does still make a fairly loud grinding noise when turned but when i stop moving it there is still an audible whurring noise coming from the powersteering pump. I have no idea where it is leaking from so are there any other places that it may be leaking from besides the power steering pump and hose?

Cheers in advance
Old 03-08-2003, 22:58   #5 (permalink)

The lifetime warranty was only really 10 years. That is what Ford call the life of a car. I doubt if hoses are covered either.
Old 03-08-2003, 23:12   #6 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

check the steering rack itself, they usually leak at the power steering switch

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 23:40   #7 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

Yeh check p/s swith, thats where my dads one leaked from (located where the steering shaft joins onto the rack itself). My mates one is leaking from the front seal where the pully is
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 23:56   #8 (permalink)
brenlam

do i have to put trans fluid in or can i flush it with water or something to find the leak. Also is that the switch near the base of the steering column near where the pipe from the pump goes to and if it is leaking do i need to replace it or is it fixable. If it needs to be replaced how much does one retail for?
Old 03-09-2003, 00:21   #9 (permalink)

If your losing fluid in your steering system check the steering rack pressure switch. I have seen the fluid get pumped up the loom and make quite a mess. You can by an exchange power steering pump for about 180 and it has 2 years on it i think.
Old 03-09-2003, 03:34   #10 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

I got my dads pump for $100 exchange fully reconditioned and a fully reconditioned steering rack for $280 exchange both with 2 year warranty's from a ford wrecker.

My dad got his switch done for $75 installed, It's not hard to do yourself so I'd just buy one from repco and fit it yourself. Don't put water in it whatever you do tho, always use transmission oil.
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes