Protex Brake Pads - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2004, 00:10   #1 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Protex Brake Pads

Hey guys
Just wondering if anyone has used these pads?

My EF has always had a bit of brake squeal but in the last few days it has gotten so much worse, so I thought I would check the pads and rotors for wear etc. Anyways checked them out and the rotors are schmick and the pads have plenty of meat left on them ( these protex pads wer eon the car when I bought it ) There is also that anti-squeal paste on the back of the pads. I gave them a good clean and it seems to have helped a little.
Has nayone else found that these pads produce alot of brake squeal? They perform quite well and dont dust all that much, but the squeal is too much to stand ( theyre a cheap pad from memory so I guess you cant expect much )

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2004, 19:00   #2 (permalink)
Fu(kn Slow & Low

Re: Protex Brake Pads

i got these pads because all i wanted was cheapies for the rear, got them for 16 bux and fitted them my self, after doing a couple of burnouts they started to glaze the disc, thats was causes squeals. get some emmery sand paper and rub the discs roughly and try to make them as corse as possible, then spray brake clean and after going down the road 2-3 times the sqealing should stop.
White 1988 EA Fairmont Ghia ~ Gassed ~ EF camshaft ~ Lowered on super low king springs (not low enough) ~ 2.5inch cat back exhaust system with one muffler ~ Clear indicators ~ Simota POD filter ~ New head built for gas ~ 3.23 open wheeler diff ~ EF XR 16inch rims ~ pioneer deck and rear speakers ~ sony front speakers ~ kyb shocks

driving a 3 speed auto with no second gear!!!
Need PSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 20:45   #3 (permalink)
THE PHANTOM

You can try deglazing the pads and put an anti-squeal compound on the the back of the pads. This "glues" them to the piston, stopping them from vibrating which might fix the sueal.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:20   #4 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Steel wool and brake clean.
give them a bit of a scrub with the wool, then spray them with brakekleen.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 02:38   #5 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

i gave them a good clean on the weekend, didnt use any abrasive though ( do'h ) this fixed it for 2 days but it has now returned, diagnosis - cheap shit pads

next brake service will see bendix advance all 'round

Another thing,
my handbrake is sticking a bit, when I start the car in the morning and reverse i can hear it squeal which goes away and comes back as i engage and disengage the handbrake whilst rolling. Ive been told there are seperate pads for the handbrake on ED/F onwards, how accurate is this

Lowered EF Futura
Old 07-05-2004, 16:35   #6 (permalink)
THE PHANTOM

True. I've had a few of these cars and they did make some horrible noises.
Old 07-05-2004, 16:36   #7 (permalink)
THE PHANTOM

Did you try the antisqueal compund?
Old 07-06-2004, 01:50   #8 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

the pads already had some on the back of them, im not going to worry about it too much until the next brake service, new pads, anti-squeal compound, clean rotors - should fix it
any idea about the handbrake?

Lowered EF Futura
Old 08-09-2004, 05:16   #9 (permalink)
www.radclan.com

i just replaced my 1 month old protex pads for a set of ultimates, just couldnt stand the squeal any longer, even when just tappin the brakes.

should have just gone for the ultimates in the first place, they are alot better all round

Liquid Silver 2001 AUII XR8 Ute - K&N Filter - T Series Intake - AU3 Clear Side Indicators - BA Scuff Plates - More details soon to come
xcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 01:58   #10 (permalink)

I have found the cheapies are not the best. They give a hard pedal and slow gradual braking effect, or until u put the pedal through the floor.
If you are selling the car, well that's always the easy way to get out of paying $$$ for an upgrade.

I used Performax (Bendix) on the EA, after having cheapies fitted and that gave a better feel to the pedal. Much better.
But now the EA is dead, I bought an ED Wagon and now have found that the pedal is very hard again, harder than the EA (originaly).
So the ED is getting an upgrade soon. Probably go slotted rotors and performax or ultimates.

I used to not want to pay for higher priced pads, but as the saying goes "You get what you pay for". And that seems to relate very much to brakes (pads and discs).
So anymore I just use Performax's as the lowest grade to install.
It only costs an extra $30-50 bucks a set.

No Longer a Ford Forums Member, have now gone to
www.BSeries.com.au

EA Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes