Rear Brake pads - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2003, 01:23   #1 (permalink)
If Only I Had Lexus Power

Rear Brake pads

i know the rear only does 15- 20 % of braking but i need new pads and hate the feel (and stopping power of bendix- especially the metal king plus, i had them in the front and changed them after 100 km, worst pads ever

I dont want to go to greenstuff for the back and was wondering what others have found to be a good pad

thanks
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ---- W 16 Configuration, Quad Turbo 1001 HP, 1250Nm, 4 Wheel Drive
redGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2003, 01:51   #2 (permalink)
Green's Tuff!

Metal Kings are not really designed for 'street' use.
They are an excellent pad aslong as they are used for what they are designed for, and that's not driving to the shops.
They are shocking when they are cold, but when they are warm/hot, its a different story.
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 02:22   #3 (permalink)

i didnt use them for "going to the shops" i used them on an extremley twisty piece of road down hill properly bedded in, good when theyre hot - rotor glowin hot maybe, a piece of timber as a brake pad has more bite than them

or thats my experience anyway
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ---- W 16 Configuration, Quad Turbo 1001 HP, 1250Nm, 4 Wheel Drive
Old 04-24-2003, 04:47   #4 (permalink)
V8 XW Ute/APV Kitted EBII

If you want the "shit" go for the Bendex Ultimates or Ferodo XLs...or now there is the New Ferodo Performance pads at around $150. But for an excellent pad that isnt metal compound go the XL's or Ultimates.

ViGiLaNtE
Old 04-24-2003, 05:06   #5 (permalink)
Driver of a BA XR8!

I'm currently trailing Ferrodo FE2's on my taxis. If anyone is interested i can tell them what there like in a few months.

Alex

"Give me any task to do, and I will find something else to do in it's place." Plato - a definition of procrastination
maco65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 17:10   #6 (permalink)

Ferrodo i have heard storys about theese pads.

A mate had them on his turbo cressida paid $40 for the set to start with he said they were the best pad ever (unfadable i have seen his rotors glowing orange after boostin through the hills) but his car developed a shudder we assumed warped (undersize) rotors, changed pads - perfect again, so theyre good pads but really nasty on the rotors

also my brother has them on his ef xr6 with dba gold, theyre ok but will go greenstuff next time
Old 04-24-2003, 18:03   #7 (permalink)
V8 XW Ute/APV Kitted EBII

Maco65...dont u mean the Ferodo GP2???....think ur crossing the Commodore Suspension package with brake pads.

ViGiLaNtE
Old 04-24-2003, 18:30   #8 (permalink)
D_XR6 in a previous life

In my experience the greenstuff are great, never fade and great feel, but they are VERY HARD on rotors. Within about 3 months I started to get brake shudder, to get rid of the shudder I had to do about 3 hard stops from 100 - 10 km/h and that would straighten them up.
In the end it was wearing the rotors soooo much that in 6 months (and the rotors machined twice) I had the mechanic replace the rotors (DBA slotted) and pads (Bendix Ult) under warranty.

If people are using the greenstuff I would only recommend to either only use them for track days or make sure your rotors are heavy duty

Secretary FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic
www.fpvxrclub.com
New Members welcome
D_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 00:16   #9 (permalink)

i put fredos on, cost $40 for the pads and $39.50 for the F*#kn tool to wind the pistons back into the caliper, only reason needed the tool was passenger side piston got stuck, bastard

good pads though now the back locks up and the front dosent

i read in a magazine that greenstuff are designed to wear the rotor on a 1 - 3 ratio. rotor 1 - pad 3 to stop glazing up
Old 04-25-2003, 00:39   #10 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

Quote:
i know the rear only does 15- 20 % of braking but i need new pads and hate the feel (and stopping power of bendix- especially the metal king plus, i had them in the front and changed them after 100 km, worst pads ever
er, it takes 500km of gentle driving to properly bed in these pads, i recently installed a set on the front of my car (i have DBA cross drilled and slotted rotors all round though) and when cold they require SFA pedal pressure to stop normally, and they take quite a few stops to make them fade. they dont dust too badly, and dont wear the discs at all, its a trade off you have to make - if you want to be able to fully punish your brakes (firstly get some decent rotors, like DBA slotted all round) you have to accept that hardcore pads wear the rotors hardcore as well.

metal king plus are good for 95% of applications, anything more and you have to accept that rotors are now a consumable item.

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes