Rear drums lock up at low speed.Help! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2004, 03:15   #1 (permalink)

Rear drums lock up at low speed.Help!

Wondering if someone could offer some suggestions as to what might be causing this problem.I'd like to start by saying that before any of the following work was carried out on the car the brakes were working reasonably ok.The car is a disc/drum braked xa.
I recently installed a 520hp engine.During the installation we also installed a reco brake booster,an auxillary brake booster,new discs and pads.The drum brake assembly was also removed to take out axles then re-installed after new axle bearings fitted.The handbrake was re-adjusted slightly on the loose side then the system was bled several times over.
When the cars brakes are cool and the brakes are applied at very low speed,ie rolling up to a set of lights,the drums lock up.Once the brakes are warm this goes away but the brakes still don't inspire me.
Before anyone suggests an upgrade kit i'm running 14 inch rims(slotters).Has anyone on the forum had experience with this problem and can anyone suggest what could be done to the standard brake system to get the most out of it.
Cheers.
george 351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2004, 08:18   #2 (permalink)

Re: Rear drums lock up at low speed.Help!

hi

its probaby your master cylinder.. it sounds like they put a disk/disk cylinder one instead of a disk/drum type. the only difference that i know of between them is that theres some type valve (to keep pressure up?) inline with the pipes goin to the rear drums.
Pk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 13:19   #3 (permalink)

that valve is a residual presure valve it stops u havins to pump the pedle every time u want to usse the brake also keeps presure in the wheel cylinders to help keep them sealed.

my first question is R U parkung out side & getting moisture in to the brake shoes.
try readjusting the hand brake at the wheals not the lever.
oze50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 03:43   #4 (permalink)

You may have a valve that needs to be removed on the rear brake line. The valve is a rubber item that is behind the brass seat which is visible in the threaded port which the rear brake line threads into. It would be worth checking if it is present ie a rubber part seen when looking through the hole in the seat.

If it is there then to remove it you screw a self tapper into the brass seat and use the head to pull out the seat. Remove the rubber and then reinstall the brass seat.
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 18:02   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the replys.I'll look into those suggestions.In the meantime i have decide to overhaul the whole brake system anyway because I need peace of mind.Will post with results when i'm done.
george 351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes