Rear Suspension Arm Bushes! HELP - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2003, 04:13   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Rear Suspension Arm Bushes! HELP

Ok my car is in the garage on chassis stands at the moment with rear wheels off and shocks and spring. I have a knock in the back on take of and over some bumps. Its come down to the bushes in the trailing arms and perhaps even the track bars. To me the track bar bushes look ok, hard to tell really. Even the suspension arms, its hard to see any obvious signs of defective bushes. What is the best way to check these?? They are pretty expensive to buy even at trade price which i can get them for i am still looking at over $200 for all suspension arm and track bar bushes (only parts).

Thanks
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2003, 04:36   #2 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

If any of them are cracked or starting to perish, they'll need replacing. My car recently failed rego because the lower trailing arm bushes were separating from the metal sleeve that goes around the bolt. The bushes cost me $83 for Nolathanes from Autobarn.

121kW 2.5L DOHC V6 in a car that weighs 1100kg's and looks like a 4 banger from the outside......SLEEPER!

1988 EA S Pak 3spd CFI.....Soon to be a 250rwkw HSV eating machine.
Latest update......MPFI!!
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 04:40   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EAII_Fairmont
If any of them are cracked or starting to perish, they'll need replacing. My car recently failed rego because the lower trailing arm bushes were separating from the metal sleeve that goes around the bolt. The bushes cost me $83 for Nolathanes from Autobarn.
Damn thats better then the price i got today. Is that for both lower trailing arms or just the one that was stuffed?
Old 02-24-2003, 05:39   #4 (permalink)
I Love Forced Induction.

Contact pedders see what they say, Also whiteline.
Old 02-24-2003, 15:06   #5 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

Hey xtrmn8...

I paid $35 for lower rear only...its very obvious when they are split as you can see the inner shaft separating from the rubber and the rubber is likely to be split. When askin around about whether to go for nolathane idecided against them as they as way too hard...my mechanic had to replace his noly's every 9 months....he also found cracks in the suspension components...he assumed it was because of the harder bushes not allowing as much movement.....changed back to genuine ford ones and had had no problems in 3 years

btw...my knock came back last night...but only one side now and only if I drive like I have jus learnt to drive manual (ie jerky, average takeoffs etc) if I drive smoothly though...no knock
b-juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 15:10   #6 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

btw vigilante who works at autobarn has pritty good prices...
b-juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 17:31   #7 (permalink)

If bushes look ok, check upper arm is not touching top of diff (look for the mark on the top of diff) this happens if the rear has been lowered or has sagged. xr's (lower ride height) had different upper arms and re positioned diff mounting....pinion angle, bla, bla, i'll stop now
IAMTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 02:48   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hot_eb
Hey xtrmn8...

I paid $35 for lower rear only...its very obvious when they are split as you can see the inner shaft separating from the rubber and the rubber is likely to be split. When askin around about whether to go for nolathane idecided against them as they as way too hard...my mechanic had to replace his noly's every 9 months....he also found cracks in the suspension components...he assumed it was because of the harder bushes not allowing as much movement.....changed back to genuine ford ones and had had no problems in 3 years

btw...my knock came back last night...but only one side now and only if I drive like I have jus learnt to drive manual (ie jerky, average takeoffs etc) if I drive smoothly though...no knock
So you only did one lower control arm?? I want to do the whole lot as in uper and lower arms and maybe even track bars. I have sqeeks from the back when going over little bumps and potholes in the road (ie rubber sqeeks). Thought it was my shocks but i got new ones not too long ago so it must be bushes.

Also Is it safe to drill the old bushes out to make it easier to take them out?? I'll get the new ones pressed in by a mechanic with proper tools. They charge more to get the old ones out then to put new ones in!
Old 02-25-2003, 03:39   #9 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IAMTC
If bushes look ok, check upper arm is not touching top of diff (look for the mark on the top of diff) this happens if the rear has been lowered or has sagged. xr's (lower ride height) had different upper arms and re positioned diff mounting....pinion angle, bla, bla, i'll stop now
I had a look under the car and I really cant fault the bushes even my dad says there is nothing wrong with them. But I have noticed that the rear sway bar, where it goes over the diff housing has signs of scraping on the under side of the bar. It looks like the bar may be hiting the top of the diff housing. The car is on stands and so is the diff but if is still hanging and there is about 20-25mm between the diff and the sway bar. My car is about 50mm lower then standard ride hight, is it possible that the sway bar is hitting the diff housing? What could be done to over overcome this?? Are there any different link-pins i can get to change the hight of the sway bar???
Old 02-25-2003, 03:45   #10 (permalink)

Try taking one of the trailing arms off and having a closer look, sometimes it is hard to see if they are split. When I had a look at mine you couldnt see the splits in them but when I got it off and put a screwdriver through the hole and twisted the bush around you could see the split.
cogo_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes