Reccomend me a brand pls. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2005, 03:26   #1 (permalink)
If Only I Had Lexus Power

Reccomend me a brand pls.

Hi Guys,

I will soon be in the market for new tyres, The previous sets have been Bridgestone Potenza G3's, but i am only roughly getting 20,000- 25,000 Km Per set ( Not alot of intentional burnouts)

I see that Toyo have released a new tyre, The T1-R Proxes http://www.toyo.com.au/

I need roughly a 225/50/R16 Profile approx $200 - $270 a tyre is what im bugeting for

Are there many high performance bi-directional tyres around as i currently run -1.6 neg camber on the front, I remember i had a set of firestones in the same profile on the ea and they were bi directional (i think)

Ps: What width are the optional mags on the Ef - El series XR's (7 or 7,5 in)

Thanks

Ash
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ---- W 16 Configuration, Quad Turbo 1001 HP, 1250Nm, 4 Wheel Drive

Last edited by redGhia; 05-11-2005 at 03:36.
redGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2005, 16:13   #2 (permalink)

Re: Reccomend me a brand pls.

I have done some phoneing around and they seem to range between $215 & $250 , So they are cheaper than the bridgestones. one guy told me that the G3's were bridgestones "bottom of the range tyre" and the toyo's were the top of the line

Lol
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ---- W 16 Configuration, Quad Turbo 1001 HP, 1250Nm, 4 Wheel Drive
Old 05-13-2005, 04:01   #3 (permalink)
Tough EB

Hey redGhia,
I have recently bought 4 new rubbers for my XR.
They are BFGoodrich G-Sport. Size 225/50 16.
They hold extremely well around corners and very well in the straight line.
Overall, I'm very impressed with their performance. They retail about $240ea. I picked them up for $200ea.

Cheers...
XR6000
XR-6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 04:26   #4 (permalink)

Its funny you mention them because i was looking through the latest zoom and they had an ad it there for BFG's which show the Drag Radial and the g-force Sport, and i thought at the time that they may be worth looking at

Im glad u reminded me of them thoug cos whin i think of tyres i would have not even considered them because they just dont spring to mind

any indication on possible km's they will last before they need replacing from the shop etc
Old 05-13-2005, 18:08   #5 (permalink)

BFGoodrich G-Sport. Size 225/50 16.

$198 fitted and balanced , the guy says about 35,000 max with the location i live etc (Hills & lots of corners)

Any others ppl reccomend

PS XR-6000 what sort of tyres were you running before and how do the BFG's compare
Old 05-13-2005, 21:02   #6 (permalink)

Ok been out this morning seeing what is avail.

Here is a list of possible choices, If you have any comments about any of these brand or others please let me and everyone else know

1: BF Goodrich G-Sport $198

2: Dunlop SP Sport 3000A $189

3: Dunlop Le Mans LM 702 $214

4: Fulda Carat Extremo $169

5: Pirelli P6000 $220

6: Toyo Rroxes T1R $215

7: Yokohama C. Drive $226

8: Yokohama A500 $225

9: Bridgestone Potenza G3 $250

Ahh dont you just love researching tyres, I like the tread design on both dunlops, Pirelli's and toyo's with the others cloxe behind

The info given out varies on who sells what as normal with everyone tring to push their own brands
Old 05-13-2005, 22:30   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redGhia
...Ahh dont you just love researching tyres...
Yeah - doing the same thing right now.

Couple of places I'd recommend checking out. They don't have all the Oz tyres, or sometimes they are named differently, but the reviews can be helpful. Look for readers reviews of rear drive cars - stangs, chevs etc.
http://www.tirerack.com/
http://www.1010tires.com/
I like tirerack because they have ratings that are compared to one another.

Anyways, I did have a set of P6000s a while ago. This was on an Impreza so how well this relates to a Falcon, I'm not sure. They stuck well in both wet and dry. The one gripe I had was that while they held on to the road well, when they went, they went without any warning at all. There was never any feedback/feel that you were pushing the tyre. Grip, grip, grip, gone. I put that down to a very stiff sidewall. It was enough for me to not buy them again.

I'd go the BFGs (Ultra Hi Perf Summer) ahead of the Dunlops and the Pirellis (Hi Perf Summer). Funnily enough, the pricing for the BFGs seems really good vs those. BFGs should also wear a little longer than the Toyos (300 or 340 AA A vs 280 AA A). I haven't really found a lot of info out there about the GIIIs and Yokies. I reckon the C.drive is too new to tell and the GIII is overpriced. You could get the spare done with the money you save on the GIIIs.

Mmm. Sounds like I'm convincing myself of the BFGs....

But that's just me :)
wiresquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 01:51   #8 (permalink)

i thought the sam as you did with the pricing on the G3's and also the c. Drive's are too new , I have heard some bad things also about the Banglops............OOps i mean Dunlops
Old 05-14-2005, 02:23   #9 (permalink)

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...del=Proxes+T1R

This site makes the Toyo's more appealing
Old 05-14-2005, 12:08   #10 (permalink)

There's been lots of posts on the Dunlop SP3000 on this forum as they are OEM fitment on BA XRs - just do a search.
BA_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes