Removing brake dust - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2002, 21:11   #1 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

Removing brake dust

Hey all... Those of you who have premium brake pads or better will probably know how bad the accumulation of brake dust can be... I'm wondering what you people use to remove it, is there a quick and easy way? The amount of brake dust that accumulates on my front wheels is so bad that they go black within a month. I have used just soap and water and a rag to wipe it all off, I've used that Maguires Hot Rims stuff which is supposed to remove brake dust, but it doesn't do too well against this much. And for those of you who know what stock LTD rims look like, it is a pain trying to clean out each one of those little holes in the rim.

Help! I want silver rims not black rims!

Alex
The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2002, 00:06   #2 (permalink)
-

i use a brush from a "dustpan and brush" set, and "Wheel Mist". youve seen my s-pak rims, theyre about as bad as the LTD ones. this stuff seems to work well. just spray on, wait, scrub, then hose off.
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 00:37   #3 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

Just spray on a bit of multi-purpose degreaser before washing the car and when you hose the suds off the car rinse the wheels off and it'll all come off.
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 02:14   #4 (permalink)
Now boostless :-(

My front wheels go black in a few days after cleaning them and it really gives me the shits! I use mother's wheel mist and it works quite well, i also use mother's wheel polish.
ps. i have Bendix ultimates.
NAPARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 03:21   #5 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

When I had the factory wheels on the DC. I cleaned them with a mag wheel brush (looks like a big pipe cleaner) and degreaser. I only did this the first time. Every time after that it was easy, I just used degreaser. I also have Ultimates!!!!!
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 04:18   #6 (permalink)

Premiums , Metal King and Ultimates will all dust your mags heavilly (is that how you spell it , I don't think so ! ). Apparently the new Advance pads will dust much the same as Bendix standard pads and operate nearly as well as Metal Kings at hot temperatures. They will also wear your rotors less than the above materials.
I have Ultimates Front and metal king rear on my EF11 Fairmont. Hot water , degreaser and elbow grease are your only weopons. Trade of for high friction is more dust
Old 08-15-2002, 06:47   #7 (permalink)

I found instead of buying expencive brushes....
the brushes you use for cleaning baby bottles are about the best or cleaning the std LTD rims....

if you know someone with a baby, go for a visit....hehehehehe
collorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 15:48   #8 (permalink)
-

degreaser? wouldnt that be a bit risky to get near the pads?

the stuff i use is acid based, wouldnt want to get it in the eyes... but it rinses off leaving no residue on the disc. wouldnt degreaser leave a bit of residue?
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 01:24   #9 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

Every single car detaling place I've been too uses just mild multi-purpose degreaser to clean up wheels, you dont soak the thing in it, just spray what u need on the wheel. Don't get the aeresol shit tho, theres stuff you can get in a bottle up container and just put that into a trigger pack, some people water it down a lil bit also
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 02:58   #10 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

the carwashers at work use the end of a broom - the ones with the oblong wooden base and REALLY soft bristles, the bristles are about 3 inches long and are great for cleaning the hard to reach places.

oh yeah, they take the handle off the broom too, so they only have to grab the base.

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes