Ford Forums banner

Replacing front discs

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  BlueBAXR8 
#1 ·
I own a 1995 EF Ford Falcon, has done just over 100 thou kms. I was midly amused when I pulled off the front wheels to replace the existing brake pads to find the rotors worn nearly all the way thru, along with 20% left on the existing brake pads, explaining the very long brake pedal.

I am replacing the whole lot, obviously, as the existing brake setup is very noisy and inefficient, with aftermarket discs and pads.

My question is about the bearings, do they need to be replaced, or can the existing ones be retained? Or, is it something that can only be determined when you pull them off the car to have a look? Everyone acknowledges the existing copper filled brake pads wear the front rotors something horrid, but noone can give me a straight answer about the bearings.... they dont have any obvious signs of having problems, ie vibration or noise.

Any info would be much appreciated....... cheers.

#3 ·
Wheel Bearings

Aussies right, If your going to put new rotors & pads in
then I would strongly advise replacing your 100k bearings as well.
If a bearing seizes it usually takes out the rotor and/or spindle
also which is a real pain in the arse and just not worth the drama
Regarding rotors DBA slotted [not drilled] are the way to go
As for pads it depends what you are going to use the car for.
I've found Bendix Ultimates excellent for quick road and a bit
of car club stuff . They make a fair bit of brake dust and their
not real cheap but you get what you pay for and you'll really notice the difference.
Hope this helps

#5 ·
I am doing the same thing on my EB2. I order DBA Slotted rotors (due to the towing I will be doing) for $125 each (ABS), new wheel bearings, and Metal King Plus pads (ultimates will not go well with my Ghia mesh style wheels - lots of dust!). On top of that I have ordered a seal kit for the calipers (clean them out thoroughly).

I am fitting Metal King Plus to the rear as well for consistency.

All I can say is the car has ABS now, but it's because I can't physically get the brakes to lock!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.