replacing live axle with irs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2001, 07:52   #1 (permalink)

replacing live axle with irs

honestly, this is what i want to do. i want superior grip and only irs will give me that.

last time i checked, it would cost something like $3K to source the parts from ford, and possibly even more.

has anyone done anything like this? ideally, i'd like to find a wrecker with a totalled au xr8 and rip the irs out of it, get a stronger diff and put in new shocks/springs.

i mean, if anyone has any info, please, do let me know. i'm just trying to see whether this would be feasible or not. and cost is a factor too. i don't want to spend $55000 building a car i could have bought off the showroom floor for $50000. it would be stupid, realy...
MrPlow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2001, 08:13   #2 (permalink)

Ive looked into this too, but I have discovered that the Falcon platform aft of the axle is different in IRS vehicles. It has more mounting points to accomodated the extra links of the IRS.

Im not sure if the mounting points can be created on a non-IRS platform but as saying goes, 'with enough money anything is possible'
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 19:14   #3 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Just a sueggestion,

I reckon it's not worth the time and effort to convert your AU into IRS. With $1200 i reckon you can get the car to handle very very nicely.

But if you are really keen, what budget is your limit? Take into account apart from the $3k for parts labour cost would be another thing.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 20:32   #4 (permalink)

oh shyte!

i was under the impression that it was a matter of ripping out the axle and the adjoining components and shoving the irs in there... bugger... :(

*shakes head*

i don't know anymore... it will cost me too much to build a car that i want! i mean, i might as well sell Baby and buy a new TE50 when they are released!

GRRR!! frustrating!
Old 10-16-2001, 18:47   #5 (permalink)
Copyright �2003

Read

If setup right, the live axle is still good as long as the road is fairly flat.

the house of grunt
Click on the above link to go to a site about my cars, old and new.
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 06:42   #6 (permalink)
NSW TICKFORD OWNERS CLUB

confused replacing live axle with irs

I didnt realise till the other day when i read closer the actual specs of V8 Supercars that Falcon and Commodore in race form both use a rear 'live axle'. Is this for weight reasons, obviously IRS would be 'better' but weigh more plus I suppose on a race track there aint pot holes and broken surfaces etc. where IRS benefits most...just something i didnt realise...

Falcon Good - Falcon Unbelievable
dkmaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 08:14   #7 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

How long do you think an i.r.s would last with 600+ h.p going through it? Yea good idea if G.M couldn't us the 9" and had to use there own..Not just diff, but suspension,as you said not too many pot holes..N.V.H doesn't come into the equation on a race car...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 00:31   #8 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Re: replacing live axle with irs

Quote:
Originally posted by dkmaj
I didnt realise till the other day when i read closer the actual specs of V8 Supercars that Falcon and Commodore in race form both use a rear 'live axle'. Is this for weight reasons, obviously IRS would be 'better' but weigh more plus I suppose on a race track there aint pot holes and broken surfaces etc. where IRS benefits most...just something i didnt realise...
Its a simple matter of keeping the cost down.
IRS would probably be of benefit on the circuit to a certain degree, hitting those curbes for instance.

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 00:33   #9 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Quote:
Originally posted by ebxr8240
How long do you think an i.r.s would last with 600+ h.p going through it? Yea good idea if G.M couldn't us the 9" and had to use there own..Not just diff, but suspension,as you said not too many pot holes..N.V.H doesn't come into the equation on a race car...
Don't forget those Cossie Sierras with IRS pumped out this sort of power, mind you they did eventually use a DJR developed 9" diff centre, which happens to be the forerunner to the diff centre used by all of todays V8 Supercars :D

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 04:52   #10 (permalink)

grunter

that's my main issue! i drive fairly briskly and i'm all over the place on sydney roads...

i've given up on this though. i'll probably get some ok wheels and swaybars and leave it at that. i want a TE50 or an AV xr8. no point in spending money on this car... it'll do me for the time being.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes