Replacing Watts Link Rubber Bushed with Polturethane - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2002, 07:25   #1 (permalink)

Converting Watts Link Rubber Bushes to Poyurethane Bushes - The Difference

Since My Wifes VL Commodore seriously needed new bushes on the Panhard rod, rear axle had about 2" sideways movement so I fitted new polyurethane bushes, took about an hour.

It cured the cars' wandering axle so much that I decided to do the same on the Mighty EF.

The Holden Panhard rod setup is reasonable but not great.

The Ford Watts Link is a much better design because the system has NO Lateral movement. Axle goes up & down not sideways.

I fitted the polyuerethane kit (5 Bushes) about 2 hours work, with a fair bit of fiddling to remove the whole track rod assembly, then remove the old rubber bushes & fit the new ones.

Wow what a difference ! I didn't realize how much give the rubber bushes have.

Without exaggerating, the handling is transformed, gone is the nervousness on sharp turn-in sweepers etc, the whole tail feels, glued to the road.

It's like all the other suspension work I've done has now come together as a complete package. (Springs, Koni Shocks, Sway Bars, Control Arms, Nolethane Bushes)

I know later Falcons have some Nolethane bushes standard, but I recomend to ALL - Fit the kit ! it's worth it (@ $50)
redwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2002, 07:54   #2 (permalink)
Ex Member

i wonder if it would improve the rear suspension in my Nf fairlane, its pretty shocking really, ive new tyres and if i accellerate even slightly around corners i loose traction, and ive allready changed all the springs and shock absorbers.. didnt like the "gramps" orientated handling. in the wet its bloody dangerous. you have to drive very carefully all the time or it starts sliding around too. just yesturday i lost control of the car and mounted a kurb! its starting to scare me.
Old 06-10-2002, 14:21   #3 (permalink)

Keep an eye on the diff hat around the centre mount for the Watts Link. Your improved bushes with less give will considerably increase the loads placed upon it. The diff-hat is cast alloy and not very strong, although light. I have broken several in the rally car, where I admit the sideways loads are greater than normal, but each time the failure was due to fatigue. The cast alloy housing cracks around where the centre pin mounts and breaks away completely, letting out all the diff-oil, letting in all the dust, and doing nothing for the handling (although it is not nearly as bad as you might expect!!)

I now run a very solid (and heavy!) mild steel hat.
rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 03:06   #4 (permalink)
EFII Futura I6

I believe the EL falcon moved the mounting point for the watts link down about 20mm on the diff hat, which removed a lot of the tail-happy handling. Would an EL diff hat be a straight swap for an EF housing? ie bolt holes the same, no modifications needed?
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 06:44   #5 (permalink)

Does anyone know what has poly bushes on an AUII XR6
Old 06-12-2002, 23:40   #6 (permalink)
aurora

Have been told by guys at 3 Pedders suspension shops that i should not install nolethane bushes as they are too hard and will destroy suspension. My car has sports ryder, lowered 3 inches which is as far as pedders go on AU and it handles superbly
High Performance Car Toys have said otherwise but i reckon they would do anything to make a sale

I'm sticking with my rubbers thanks. Not sure what effect nolethanes have on other Falcon models.
Old 06-13-2002, 04:42   #7 (permalink)

Remember guys - there is a difference between Nolethane (the RED) bushes, and POLYURETHANE, the BLUE stuff.

Nolethane is a brand and it's known for it's rigidity, it's used on some suspension points but not all.

I opted for polyurethane because it fills the space it's it, it handles friction excellently, it' still absorbs shock. As far as i'm concerned, it's everything rubber should be but doesn't have the molecular structure.

Rubber cracks and has a very short life.

If you stick to polyurethane I fell your'e safe, as I said, it's helped the handling a treat.

If youre still not sure, then fit new rubber bushes, but do something.

Oh by the way I tried the EL dif hat on the EF dif, but it's different.

The real answer is, if you have an EF 1 that is, fit the Whiteline upper control arm conversion kit, it takes you up to AUII spec at the rear.
redwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 18:14   #8 (permalink)

Re: Replacing Watts Link Rubber Bushed with Polturethane

Poly bushes are your best go........

Nolethane has been riddled with technical issues over the years with common complaints of excessive hardness, and squeaking ect...

The Blue bushes (Super Pro) are softer, and most importantly robust in design. They also support a wider range. Including all Falcon right up to BF...

www.SuperPro.com.au
The Scud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 21:50   #9 (permalink)

Re: Converting Watts Link Rubber Bushes to Poyurethane Bushes - The Difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwards

The Holden Panhard rod setup is reasonable but not great.

The Ford Watts Link is a much better design because the system has NO Lateral movement. Axle goes up & down not sideways.

Panhard Rods have a significant weight advantage over Watts Linkages. In addition on a road car the Panhard Rods only have two elastomer bushes, compared to the Watts Linkage which has four elastomer bushes. Having half the number of elastomer bushes means hald as much bushing compliance.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 05:00   #10 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

Re: Converting Watts Link Rubber Bushes to Poyurethane Bushes - The Difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwards
Not true. The geometry of a watts link still has lateral movement.
yeah right is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes