Scared out of my skin for the first time.. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2003, 02:12   #1 (permalink)
EFXR62

Scared out of my skin for the first time..

I'd just finished washing my car, all shiny and new. I start the car, drive around the court and stop outside my neighbours house. He gets me fired up, tells me to smoke em, so i put the left foot on the brake, and pump the gas a bit. The wheels spin, smell abit of burning rubber, and then i stop.

I take off quite fast up the road, doing about 50-60 by the top of the court. I go to brake, and there's nothing there! I slam them on and only hear clucnking noises. The car doesn't stop. I panic, and slowly edge the handbrake up a little bit which sends the car into a little skid before coming to a stop.

I drove around slowly, riding the brakes after that.. After a bit of driving, the brakes are back to normal.

My question is, why the hell did the brakes fail after just a tiny little stand still.. I didn't give the car heaps, just enough to spin it on the road a little bit. Was it because the calipers and rotors were wet?

This really scared me, and i hope i haven't done any damage.. Any advice/help gratefully accepted.

Thanks in advance,
Yagz :oo1:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2003, 02:45   #2 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

yeah it wold have been the washing detergent on the discs, or possibly tyre blackener on them (if u used the spray on stuff)

when we wash my mums saab (for example) the detergent makes the discs corrode really fast and they dont grip in like they should initially.

Alternatively, I have sprayed tyre blackener on the disc of my old corolla anyway, reversing out of the drive, i slid straight through the brakes....nothing would be busted....
b-juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 02:47   #3 (permalink)
EFXR62

i actually used Kitten wheel cleaner.. That could have been it.. Hmm, maybe i shouldn't use this stuff..
Old 05-04-2003, 02:54   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

Use what ever you want to use, just becareful as to how much you throw in the direction of the brakes. Take it easy on the first trip after you wash the car, at low speed gently apply the brakes to "wipe" off the residue.
Chris Nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 02:56   #5 (permalink)
EFXR62

yeah, i just hope i haven't damaged the discs/calipers by doing that small stand still straight after washing the car.. I spose i've learnt my lesson :/
Old 05-04-2003, 04:33   #6 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Shouldn't have damaged them man, just make sure you use them gently next time to dry them off hey.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 04:35   #7 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

if you downloaded my video, i can assure you u didnt damage your rotors doing a little standstill

Ill take it as a complement i think.............
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 04:55   #8 (permalink)

what video??
slodki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 04:57   #9 (permalink)
EFXR62

I believe he is referring to this video;

Got boored lastnight

Cheers,
Yagz
Old 05-04-2003, 05:18   #10 (permalink)
gone

Must be all the wd40 you used!!!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes