Ford Forums banner

Self Leveling suspension relay

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  TopGhia 
#1 ·
g'day all.
Im wondering if there's anyone who might help me locate the self levelling suspension Relay on DF LTD.
Every time i turn the ignition off - the 'check suspension' dash light appears. Also the ride height is not adjusting.
I have checked the fuse and the suspension compressor is new.
i read in an older thread a guy with the same problem just replaced the relay and it fixed the drama. I know where some relays are (near the battery and behind the front left headlight) i just dont know which one is which!!

help help help help !!!!!!!

#2 ·
Centre relay near coolant overflow tank; rearmost set. But this sounds more like a leak in the shockie. The one near the exhaust usually fails first (to much heat in that rubber). Spray some detergent and water on the rubber part of the shockie and watch for bubbles. Might also be the compressor. Try the self test: Sit in driver's seat with door open, turn ignition on, press door courtesy light switch three times and count flash of check suspension light.

#3 ·
thanks for the reply Aussieblue
i have replaced both shockers with a set i got out of a smashed LTD only 40000kms on it. so they're in pretty good nick. Though it was doing this before i replaced it.
Now the Compressor motor doesnt even come on at all. When you turn the ignition off the 'check suspension' light comes on and stays lit even when you lock the car and walk away.
i bought a new relay today (worth a try i rekon) but i still am unsure which relay it is i need to replace.
there are two sets ....one near the battery (4 relays in a line) and then theres two replaceable relays under the coolant resevoir (which i took off) and two relays which look to be more permanently attached again 4 in line (left to right)

PS the compressor is only 16months old.
help help help

#5 ·
Under the coolant tank, there should be a couple of relays and a cover with a self tapper holding it. Under that cover is a relay called "Relay Assy WAC". If you can find out what WAC means, that could be it. The other relays are not relevant.

(goes away and has a cup of tea, being early yet)

The relay is for the air compressor, so WAC probably stands for Wheel Arch Compressor, cause that's where the compressor is - in the wheel arch. hmmmmm.

Also the middle top fuse(circuit breaker) in the fuse box under the dash is the circuit breaker for the suspension.

#6 ·
thanks TopGhia i checked into that today.
theres four relays under that cover. two are permanent (ie wired in) but the other two are removeable. i have tried the new relay in both - to no avail! so now im thinking its not the relay.
the circuit breaker is okay - i swapped it with the power window breaker (same).
Not Happy Jan..

#7 ·
There is another cover somewhere, I thought it was under the coolant thingo, with 1 relay, next to the relays for the fuel pump and the EEC power.

The other one has 4 relays, for the lights, acessories and horn. Of these 4, pull the one out closer to the front, that should be the horn. If the horn don't work, then that is the wrong relay set.

You will have to take the coolant tank off to get at this one, I have the Ford workshop manual in front of me, not real clear, but it looks like it is right under the coolant tank, 3 relays -- the one toward the back of the car is the WAC relay.

(thinks)

Is there a socket there for a relay and no relay in it?. The WAC relay is sitting up by itself (not in a line) so you have
FR..ER-----WAC

P.S. That cover may cover the 4 of them, the diagram isn't real clear. If you still can't work it out, I'll send a photo, but it is the relay set under the coolant tank, and the WAC is the relay nearer the back of the car.

Keep at it.

#8 ·
Mate, i got the bugger!!!
it was under the coolant tank as we suspected, and the second one along. When i replaced it nothing happened. this is why i thought i may have got the wrong one! however i left it in overnight and this morning i went to start it up the SLS motor started up and the ride height is adjusting how it should. Im pretty stoked. thanks very much for your assistance! now i need to work out why shes running way too hot in traffic and i'll be set!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.