Slotted Discs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2002, 04:00   #1 (permalink)
Death to Camry's!

Slotted Discs

Just after some opinions and prices guys, how much would I be lookin at for slotted discs on the front? and what brands do you all recommend?
MightyEFGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2002, 04:02   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

DBA is a good starting point for research.

http://www.dba.com.au/

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 04:16   #3 (permalink)

biggrin

DBA is the only way to fly.... and if your getting slotted you might as well get drilled they are dba gold series
EB2Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 04:47   #4 (permalink)

the dba slotted rotors is what i prefer. having a quick look i see www.performanceparts.com.au have them for $103 each.
im not too sure about the cross drilled/slotted ones. they are an extra $40 but i keep hearing negative things about them, from it not being much of an inprovement over just slotted, to cracks forming around the holes.
jamesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 07:33   #5 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

im get 4 new discs/rotors DBA slotted tomorrow for $117 for the front and around the same amount for the rear,new pads and seal's + fitted for $765
Exhaust by Lukey
Sound by Pioneer and Jaycar
Pioneer DEH P1Y headunit
pioneer 6.5 2ways
Pioneer 6 stacker
Jaycar 6.5 Kevlar splits
Jaycar 15 venom sub
Jaycar 2x150 wrms amp
Jaycar 4x100 wrms amp
PS2 by SONY
TV by lillyput
THEONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 04:35   #6 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

Putting slotted rotors all round with quality pads was one of the best bang for buck mods ive done 2 my XR. The difference it makes is huge, i can now brake WAY later than before and i dont think i have had any major brake fade yet(havent been out 2 track again tho)
Good mod to do.
Old 08-22-2002, 23:14   #7 (permalink)
Tickford EL XR6

Check the garage forum for more info, there were a couple of good posts there earlier this week. DBA make Tickford rotors by the way (except the high perofrmance ones) and they don't warp or shudder as easily as ford ones!

I can tell you guys that for everyday performance, you will not get extra braking power from the drilled DBA rotors. They are only superior if your brake temp increases to 600-700 C, which you should only see on a race track. My advice - get a set of slotted DBAs with Bendix Ultimate Pads (recommended by DBA themselves as well as me). These discs are just as good and cheaper because they cost less to make.

If you want to know the difference (and anyone please correct me or add to this if I make a mistake here), the drilled holes get rid of gases on the surface, allowing them to pass into the vents and extracted out of the disc. These gases are a result of extreme heat burning parts of the pad and disc (on a molecular level), that's why you don't really need them for everyday use. They are also noisier and chew through pads quicker.

The slots de-glaze the pad which provides provide a good "rough" friction surface on the pad face. The galzing occurs from s#it on the rotors and pads getting hot and melting a bit, which forms a kind of protective sealant over the pad and reduces braking efficiency as it is smoother than the pad face is normally. The slot scrapes this layer of gunk off the pad face, giving better friction and stopping power.

If you really want serious perofrmance, speak to CEBCO, but the cost is higher. They have a 330mm rotor which is oobviously better and they have 2 and 4 pot calipers. mmmmm.......

But remember no matter how obsene your brakes are, you can only stop as quickly as your tyres let you.

Cheers.
Tickford6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 23:16   #8 (permalink)
Tickford EL XR6

by the way,

DBA slotted gold are about $189.60 each from Bursons. Slotted normal are a bit less I think.
Tickford6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 01:58   #9 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

I have talked to the guy at Big Brakes Australia, who is the person that designed the slotted and drilled rotor for DBA and he told me that the drilled holes basically will do fuk all and make the disc a little weaker- they r mainly there for looks.
Talk to the guys at Big Brakes Australia they were champions to do business with (rotors were personally delivered to my house when i couldnt pick them up b4 the weekend!!!! at no charge btw)
All the touring cars only have slots- non of there rotors r drilled so that sorta shows sunfin. If Dick Johnson doesnt have drilled rotors why would i need em?
Old 08-23-2002, 02:34   #10 (permalink)

Don't go near the drilled rotors they eat pads like theres no tommorrow and they are no better than the slotted ones.
I think I'll be downgrading to just the slotted ones as they also make less noise and are 'cheaper' too.

silly, silly me.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes