Spare wheel rust - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2003, 06:44   #1 (permalink)
Formerly: SmokeEA

Spare wheel rust

Since getting my car, i noticed that there was a lot of rust in the spare wheel well. I spoke to one of my friends who knows alot about falcons and he said that E-series falcon had a problem with condensation in the boot building up and condensing in the well, thus causing rust. he then stated that he had a then brand new EL that suffered this problem and to solve it he drilled a hole through bottom of the well to allow the water to leave.

Anyways have any of you suffered this same problem and how did you fix it?

Cheers
Shazza

Last edited by SmokedEB; 06-26-2003 at 06:59.
SmokedEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2003, 06:50   #2 (permalink)
Gimo_1

I dont know how you would fix it, but i remember in my dads old XB there was a lot of condensation and as a result grass started to grow on the carpets in the back. Must have been seeds falling off peoples shoes or something.

Maybe collect heaps of those little packets of poisen stuff you find in shoe boxes and things like that I dunno its just an idea.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:00   #3 (permalink)
wanna be burn out king

Re: Spare wheel rust

drilling a hole is a good idea just make sure ya dont drill in to somthing inportant like the fuel tank also a good idea to check the drain holes in ya doors and sills ect ect
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 11:00   #4 (permalink)
400 kg ego

There shouldn't be a need to drill a hole, because there are rubber stoppers that can be removed to allow water to exit. I have heard of water leaking into the boot, and if the water cannot drain directly out then rust will be unavoidable.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 18:21   #5 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Condensation from the tyre sweating as it gets cold at night after being heated up in the boot from the exhaust being on that side does happen, removing a rubber plug or drilling a hole will not help much in that respect, unless you got a major water leak into the boot.
Get a wire brush and some rust converter for a start, give a damn good brushing, and then kill the rust that is there with the converter, with that out of the way and been left to dry, give a lovely nice new coat of black paint as you would paint the car, a couple of good layers and some clear on top of that as well, and then of you want to get caried away, you can get spray on fish oil to keep things going in your favour (warning you will smell it for about a month or so at least).

Of course let everything dry properly before putting the spare back, unless you want it stuck to the tyre well .......... LOL

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 19:03   #6 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

as above, but after you have painted it, spray the area well with fish oil, it will never rust again,

TIP, air your boot out all day after applying the fish oil, even the so called odourless stuff stinks

EDIT, didnt realise you mentioned fish oil dellboy

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 22:14   #7 (permalink)
-

i found that water was entering my boot via the rear window seal, dripping down the C pillar onto the parcel shelf, then into the boot via the seam between parcel shelf and C pillar. you might want to check these areas... it was an absolute bitch to find, there were no obvious clues...

Last edited by galapogos01; 06-26-2003 at 22:20.
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 00:34   #8 (permalink)
Ford Nut

water was entering my boot via a tail light seal which wasnt doing its job. water had built up in the well big time (about 5cm deep) and the rust was that bad in a spot all i had to do was poke it with a screwdriver and it made a hole and all the water dissappeared. anyway i fixed the the tailight seal and i am yet to bog up the hole but i have put rust coverter on it and fish oil.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:04   #9 (permalink)
Formerly: SmokeEA

Thanks for the replies.
I've had a closer look and both the plugs are gone, so ill need new ones but my major concern is that one section is so rusted that if i push it i think the metal will fail so i think it needs more work then a simple rust proof and paint

cheers
SmokedEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 15:58   #10 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

then your best bet would be to weld a section of metal plate in there, You could always bog it, but how long do u plan on keeping the car?

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes