Ford Forums banner

Spongey brake pedal

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Falcon_Spac 
#1 ·
Hey,

Lately i've noticed the brakes are feely very very sponge, sometimes the pedal with go down quite a lot and not do anything, and you need to pump the pedal for it to do anything. The brake fluid has been completely flushed twice. After a while the fluid gets a lot of bits in it? I'm guessing the mater cylinder in screwed, caz it's a bit of a safety issuse isn't it?

And just this week, under hard braking it makes a droning noise, that can't be good, it's got new pads all round? i dunno.

#2 ·
Usually this means there is a small airlock in yer hydraulic system.
(you can compress air but not fluid) Did u bleed the system properly? ie. submersing the bleed line in fluid when pumping the pedal? What kinda bits is in it? It would be wise to replace the cylinder if it is suspect. New ones (or recons) shouldnt exceed $100 i would think. If yer master cylinder is pushing fluid past the piston, id expect for the pedal travel too increase slightly too.

Brent

#4 ·
info

The brake fluid was fully renewed, I'm an apprentice at a mechanical joint so i did it twice. I'm pretty sure the master cyl is stuffed, I know the rear piston was bit seized but it wouldn't caz this. New master cyl $275, oh well, Does anything go wrong with the booster?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.