Sports steering wheels - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2002, 20:24   #1 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

Sports steering wheels

hey all,

I was thinking about getting another stearing wheel. I know i'll need a boss kit (or whatever they are called) but how hard is it to take the original wheel off and put the sports one on? do you need any special tools?

thanks,

Brendan
b-juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2002, 20:35   #2 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

EASY!

screwdriver and shifter (adjustable spanner) and (maybe) muscles.

Oh, unless an airbags involved then I dunno.
Old 04-10-2002, 20:43   #3 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

sweet - thanks man
Old 04-10-2002, 20:46   #4 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

hey hot eb...

its pretty simple... I did it to my EA. (ok... my BF helped losen the bolt cos I couldnt move it - but I did the rest)

screw driver, shifter and allen keys are all you need. (will probably get allen key with the boss kit)

Just be sure to check your states guidlines on sizes for steering wheels (not 100% sure, but in NSW 14" is smallest for car with power steering, and 13" is smallest for car without power steering)
Old 04-10-2002, 20:50   #5 (permalink)

Usually the steering wheels need a fair bit of "persuasion" to come off. Undo the nut so it is flush with the top of the thread on the steering column shaft and grab a bit of 4 x 2 or similar size timber and place over said nut and bash the living daylights out of it with a lump hammer while pushing from the back of the steering wheel with your knees/upper leg. Don't go too berzerk of you might slip with the hammer and wreck something else! It's actually better to get a puller to do this but if you haven't got one you need to improvise.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 20:52   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by XR8chic

Just be sure to check your states guidlines on sizes for steering wheels (not 100% sure, but in NSW 14" is smallest for car with power steering, and 13" is smallest for car without power steering)
That's not logical, power steer makes it easier to turn, a small steering wheel makes it harder so why a larger size for PS?

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Old 04-10-2002, 21:25   #7 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Quote:
Originally posted by Falchoon
.....Undo the nut so it is flush with the top of the thread on the steering column shaft and grab a bit of 4 x 2 or similar size timber and place over said nut and bash the living daylights out of it with a lump hammer while pushing from the back of the steering wheel with your knees/upper leg......
Why are you bashing the nut?

The steering wheel is taper-locked to the shaft. Once you have loosened the nut it's NOT holding the wheel on. Though it is a good idea to leave it on the shaft as you describe so that you don't smash yourself in the face with the wheel when the taper lets go. It may help a bit by vibrating the shaft but I usually find the knees/legs and some wiggling of the wheel (up and down not left & right) is usually all that is required.
Old 04-11-2002, 00:14   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by RAPTOR

Why are you bashing the nut?

The steering wheel is taper-locked to the shaft. Once you have loosened the nut it's NOT holding the wheel on. Though it is a good idea to leave it on the shaft as you describe so that you don't smash yourself in the face with the wheel when the taper lets go. It may help a bit by vibrating the shaft but I usually find the knees/legs and some wiggling of the wheel (up and down not left & right) is usually all that is required.
You leave the nut on so you have a slightly bigger area to spread the force of the hammer blows and so that you don't damage the thread of the shaft. Even with the wood cushioning the blows you can still mushroom the top of the shaft and you will never get a nut on it again! I work at a wrecker (Holden only) and have pulled of hundreds of wheels this way. I have only had a handful that are loose enough to come of with out persuasion. Like I said, it's not the ideal way of doing it but sometimes you need to improvise.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Old 04-11-2002, 00:54   #9 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

Re: Sports steering wheels

Quote:
Originally posted by hot_eb
hey all,

I was thinking about getting another stearing wheel. I know i'll need a boss kit (or whatever they are called) but how hard is it to take the original wheel off and put the sports one on? do you need any special tools?

thanks,

Brendan
If your hot Eb is an XR it may have the standard momo, if it does when you buy another momo wheel you need no boss. If it doesnt have the moomoo then you need the boss. I have a momo on my XR and it is a huge improvement from the bus wheel that was on it before.
Old 04-11-2002, 01:58   #10 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

thanks for the help people,

nah, my eb is just an s pak.

so i'll need the boss kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes