Squeaky Brakes- what is it?????? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2005, 05:45   #1 (permalink)

Squeaky Brakes- what is it??????

I have a ford fairmont EbII 92 model (6). The brakes just squeak at random-sometime when im going straight even, and sometimes when i apply them to brake. What would be the cause of this???

ps: my brake pads are relatively new i think, only 3-4 months???
La ChroniK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2005, 19:22   #2 (permalink)
Munch Munch Rice 4 Lunch

Re: Squeaky Brakes- what is it??????

could be the brand of brake pads, or even the handbrake band causing some noise on the inside of the disc rotor
Old 04-08-2005, 13:30   #3 (permalink)

u could try deglazing ur pads & put a little shanfer on all the edges.

the niose is injuced by a bit of hard compoung rubbing, the reason ti dose it at any time is due to the calaper moving, and also the disk rotor moving about due to a bit of wheel bearing play.

except for the where indicator squeeking , most squeeks, grones, klicks, are not abnornal.
oze50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 16:12   #4 (permalink)
Munch Munch Rice 4 Lunch

sorry oze50 but "most squeeks, grones, klicks, are not abnornal" that sounds like the bendix brakes disclaimer, or something a dodgey workshop would say. no offence if your in the industry
Old 04-10-2005, 07:10   #5 (permalink)

- brake pads
- brake dust
- warped rotor (do the brakes hudder when braking as well - and no i am not joking)

or a combination of the above
Old 04-11-2005, 07:13   #6 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

You sound like you are unsure if you have new or old pads so first thing find out. If they are worn the noise could simply be the metal indicators hitting the discs to alert you to the fact.

If it's brake moan or brake groan (two different things and not to be confused with brake squeak, chatter and squeal when you apply the brakes) there could be all sort of causes including your suspension set up. Do a search under "brake moan" and "brake groan" with Google for causes and cures. But are you sure its the brakes and not the bearings?
Old 04-11-2005, 22:08   #7 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Squeaky Brakes- what is it??????

I have an 1999 AU Classic - Drove me mad with noises in the rear. I replaced the pads & still had the noise & squeaks. Brake & Suspension(Pedders) & Dealer said it was in the suspension. I had the rear discs removed & replaced a $2 little retaining clip that holds the handbrake shoe in place and end of problem. (clip overheats & weakens & if shoe is not held into place it moves & squeakes at all different times)
Hope you can follow. Ted P
Ted P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 21:46   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted P
I have an 1999 AU Classic - Drove me mad with noises in the rear. I replaced the pads & still had the noise & squeaks. Brake & Suspension(Pedders) & Dealer said it was in the suspension. I had the rear discs removed & replaced a $2 little retaining clip that holds the handbrake shoe in place and end of problem. (clip overheats & weakens & if shoe is not held into place it moves & squeakes at all different times)
Hope you can follow. Ted P
That's what's wrong with my car, brakes are fine but it is the handbrake that is making the noise.

Any idea what the clip looks like or is called and where I could buy it(ford,supercheap)?
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 01:07   #9 (permalink)

the hand brake shoe on the Aus is a once piece item and it tends to jump of its seat very easily. to dix that uou nee dto take the rear hubs off, reseat the hand brake shoe and possibly machine the inner hub for more clearance.
Old 04-14-2005, 22:04   #10 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Squeaky Brakes- what is it??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWAU
That's what's wrong with my car, brakes are fine but it is the handbrake that is making the noise.

Any idea what the clip looks like or is called and where I could buy it(ford,supercheap)?
"EvilChief" gave part reply -you do have to remove the rear caliper & the disc & the shoe is a 1 pce. but all that holds the shoe into place is a very small metal clip & its called a "retainer". It screws onto the backing plate & holds the 1 pce shoe in position within the inner drum, the open ends sit either side of the adjuster. Any brake shop should have but best to get from Ford. When you do that make sure the handbrake cable is adjusted loose enough for the metal lever to sit against the backing plate as it could cause the h/brake shoe to rub because it sometimes looses tension and slightly expands.
Best of luck Regards Ted P
Ted P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes