Standard EF brakes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2001, 20:09   #1 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

cool Standard EF brakes

Hi all I'm new at this.
I have a standard EF exept for 16x8 ROH ZS wheels and JVC cd unit. I just want to know what I can do to take out the sponge feeling in my brakes.

Ta.
EFSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2001, 20:40   #2 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

My suggestion would be to try some Bendix Ultimates pads for a start. If these are bedded in properly, it should improve the pedal feel quite a bit, as well as stopping performance. The next step after this would be to grab hold of some DBA rotors, at least for the front end. This too would help pedal feel and stopping power. Not sure on prices for the pads, but I paid something like $90 for front pair and $80 for rears.. and as for rotors, I paid about $160 each for front drilled + slotted ones, the slotted only were about $130 each from memory.

Check out www.discpads.com.au for latest prices.

Cheers
Old 08-06-2001, 20:46   #3 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Standard EF brakes

Wow I heard that disks cost abit but thats a little out of my non-existant budget.

But that has given me something to play with, late this year early next looks good for spending on the car.

Ta.
EFSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 21:30   #4 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Re: Standard EF brakes

Quote:
Originally posted by EFSteve
Hi all I'm new at this.
. I just want to know what I can do to take out the sponge feeling in my brakes.

Ta.
Not familiar with EF so don't know if spongy feeling is a problem with them. If not, changing brake fluid is first step for any spongy pedal, and cheap. Brake fluid absorbs water even from atmosphere and it doesn't last forever. Although hardly anyone does it, fluid should be changed every couple of years minimum, so if it's never been changed it's long overdue.
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 04:27   #5 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

My LTD's pedal is spongy too. I was told it was a Ford thing. I am seriously looking into upgrading. I heard you can get a AU upgrade kit or even a Tickford kit :)

Could it be a ABS thing? I don't know.....
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 04:54   #6 (permalink)
The cat in the hat

If your cars running genuine pads then you have Bendix Ultimates.....same spec.

EF's normally stop quite well and generally dont feel spongy.
Id go with the brake fluid.
partsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 06:50   #7 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

About EF brakes i can comment on the following,

For me a slight spongy feel is actually pretty good, much much better than the EB we had that felt very very wooden as though the pedal was dead like as if it had a lack of power assistance.

My brake rotors are on th wear limit and i've got Bendix Standard on them. For daily use there ok pads, very little noise, doesn't chew rotors and disc brake dirt virtually nonexistent.

In hard constant braking at low speed(ie, going down Old Bathurst Rd to EmuPlains at the foot of the mountians) i do feel they fade.

But braking hard from high speed i feel there quite ok. Except when braking from 140km/h in a back street after a drag and stopping in time for an intersection, brakes were on the limit then.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 17:15   #8 (permalink)
Craving Boost

my xh ute and my old blokes ef has the spongy feel as well. Both auto's does anyone have a manual box with spongy brakes?
doink1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 18:41   #9 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

yeah every falcon I have driven since ABS was standard has a slightly spongier feel than the earlier E-Series, which actually felt like you were pressing blocks of wood onto the rotors. My EF's brake pedal is spongey but pulls up very very well and has plenty of pedal, ( doesnt go anywhere near the floor etc ) I think alot of it has to do with the ABS, but I will be flushing my brake fluid and fitting DBA slotted rotors up front and bendix advance all round

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 03:42   #10 (permalink)

what do you guys mean by spongy? Press the pedal but no braking force or the brake pedal is hard to press?

my brake pedal is harder than other cars to press.
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes