Ford Forums banner

Stiffer EL

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  ziggs 
#1 ·
G'day, I am starting to get into a little bit of drifting and i need 2 make my car stiffer in the rear. I currently run king superlows. I was wondering what other springs everyone else is using and what they are like. Also i was wondering if anyone knows of a front strut brace available for the e-series.
Thanks
Gav

#2 ·
GAV86 said:
G'day, I am starting to get into a little bit of drifting and i need 2 make my car stiffer in the rear. I currently run king superlows. I was wondering what other springs everyone else is using and what they are like. Also i was wondering if anyone knows of a front strut brace available for the e-series.
Thanks
Gav
Sounds like you need adjustable damping , harder spring will be garder and will promote the drift but will kill your back . :beerbottl

#4 ·
The cause of rear "drifting" is many and varied. Have you tried adjusting your tyre pressures, say 36 in the rear and 32 in the front. It is amazing how a few pounds difference in the front and rear tyres can affect handling. How worn are your tyres? How was the road surface? maybe you were simply driving harder? If you have recently lowered the car, this can happen, as you appreciate the better handling. To stiffen the rear will make the front "looser"i.e.: promote understeer. Maybe you have made the front suspension too stiff, have you added a larger dia sway bar as well? Have you put in new dampers at the front only? have you put in new springs? All these will promote oversteer (rear "drifting"). An easy way to remember is if you tighten one end of the car, the other end loosens.
There is a front brace for the EL's and I think Noltec make them. but that is really going a bit overboard!

#5 ·
i think gavs trying to say he is getting into drifting, as in the event racing of drifting the purpose is to drift and i think he wants as little body roll in the rear so the car slides but still needs reasonable drive out of corners to keep the speed up and some good grip at the front so there is minimal understeer so where eva it point it goes.
correct me if i mis understood gav.
if this is the case all i can say is u'll definately need a camber kit at the front if u don't already hav 1 but getthe shim type. u want to run something like 1.5deg neg camber to begin wif and see how ur tyre wear goes, if it's resonable then go to 2deg this will help u point and recover ur drifts as far as the back goes i havent looked into mods but ur on the rite trach stiffer is gud for sliding but u need a balance of squat u drive out of a slide and keep ur speed up. gud luck with it bud sounds like fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.