Superlow kingsprings in an XF - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2002, 20:30   #1 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Superlow kingsprings in an XF

Has anyone had any experience with superlow kingsprings in an XF or XE. I went to repco and he told me they had sold 3 sets and 2 came back cos they were too low? This made me reconsider.
They drop the car 4-5cm.
What do you guys think? Should i still get superlows or settle with lows which are a 3cm drop??

Thanks guys

Dan
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2002, 22:01   #2 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

I have superlow springs in my XF I will upload a pic and attach it here for you.

Overall I am very happy with them, the ride is still fairlu compliant, and it dialed out a fair bit of understeer.

EDIT: Should add that I have had little to no problems with the car scraping on some of the quite bad kerbs and dips that are around my area incase you were worried about that. I also run koni shocks in the car.
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 22:15   #3 (permalink)
###AND EDGT DRIVER###

NOT THAT LOW DEPPENDS ON THE STATE YOU IN I HAVE SUPER LOWS IN MY FAIRLANE FRONT SUPERLOW ,CHOPED REAR 1 1/2 COILS.

MY CAR WAS VERY HIGH TO BEGIN WITH BUT WITH THE HIGH
PROFILE TIRES STILL TO HIGH FOR ME 5CM SOUNDS RIGHT.
MY CAR WAS 5CM TO HIGH SO MY DROPED 10CM NO MORE
OF ROAD FOR ME.

GO SUPER LOWS I GOT MY $100 A SET SO TRY TO GET A GOOD
PRICE FOR THEM
xf351gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 22:23   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I cannot believe that people are silly enough to admit that they have chopped springs in their cars.
It is illegal and more to the point ... very dangerous.

Anyone that does this really needs to take a good look at themselves. If superlow isn't low enough.. get custom springs or just be realistic.
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 22:55   #5 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Thanks DK ill go superlows after seeing yours. It looks good.

Thanks Guys

Dan
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 00:19   #6 (permalink)

I know ppl who have had trouble with superlows - you will be riding on your front bump stops a lot and can result in damage to the spring towers on bad roads. If you only use the car on smooth roads it might not be a concern. I have mine 30mm lowered and have no problems. Good shocks are a must, like Konis, but they will not stop the suspension hitting on the bump stops. If you put some really heavy duty gas shocks like Bilsteins you can stop the bottoming out but you have a jolty ride at low to medium speeds on semi-smooth roads.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 00:29   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by xa-coupe
I cannot believe that people are silly enough to admit that they have chopped springs in their cars.
It is illegal and more to the point ... very dangerous.

Anyone that does this really needs to take a good look at themselves. If superlow isn't low enough.. get custom springs or just be realistic.
The reason behind chopped springs being made illegal was because vehicles such as early Holdens had nothing to hold the (coil) spring in place if the load was taken off the spring - the length of the spring was all that kept it in place. This has never been a problem with Falcons because the shock is up the centre, making the spring captive even when unloaded.

So, illegal yes, but dangerous? Not really (in a Ford) unless taken to extreme. That is not to say I would advocate to do it. It is obviously far better to have a good after market spring made for the job.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 06:13   #8 (permalink)
No More Shaggin Wagon

Has any one lowered an XF with 225's on it???
are they too wide???
Old 11-10-2002, 07:53   #9 (permalink)
###AND EDGT DRIVER###

lowed a car with 245 265s depending on the rim offset might
not have to role the edges over.

and as far as dangerous chopped springs your welcome
to your opinion but in the rear af a $400 dollar fairlaine
as long as not going over board think it would be fine
in my case.

theres a lot more rice burners with unsafe cars than any
fords over here in perth.

dont see the point in spending to much when these days
zl xf sell for 300-1000 and springs blistine shocks front and rear
and ball joints tie rods pitman arms would be up over 1000 mark
xf351gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 10:20   #10 (permalink)
Sideways..

DansEdgli

The lower the better I say

This is how low mines sitting with chopped springs. I had to remove the bump stops as the car was just sitting on them.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~gileno/cars/xf/xf4.jpg
(If ya want more pics, click on my signature)

I'll tell you now though, chopping the springs does make the ride pretty rough. Im going to have to get shorter shockies as they have about 1cm of movement before they bottom out (which aint good for the shockie towers..etc). Speed bumps are a bitch too.. basically every one touches the exhaust (only about 7cm ground clearance ) .. but thats the sacrafice I've taken for looks

BUT after having said all that, and after seeing DK's photo I'd probably recommend just getting the superlows like he did. It would be a good compromise between looks and handling.. etc. Just get some good shockies too as the stock ones have probably seen better days.

Jaeger

Ive had both 225/65/R15's and 235/40/R17's on my car with its current ride height. Both tyres clear the guard at full lock by less than a centimeter.. so its a very close fit. Under normal driving conditions though (as well as giving the car shit round corners) its never touched the guards.

xa-coupe

I see your point, but i dont fully agree with ya there. Ive been driving around now for at least 2 years with my car this low, and not once have I had any dramas.

I can see how its dangerous (springs popping out..etc), but in my case, even when I fully jack up the front end of the car, the springs barely have enough slack to move around... so i'd imagine going over bumps and such wouldnt be a problem at all.

As for custom springs.. Thats probably the best way to get a real low ride height.. but I'd rather save my money for now.. and spend the $$$ when it gets converted to a drag car

my 2c.
* prepares to be bombarded *

Xtreme 275.6 rwkw, 12.93 sec quater, Phoon CAI, Siemens Injectors, StealthFX BOV with XBOX entertainment.
XF Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes