Ford Forums banner

suspension cheap or not so cheap

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  EvilEA 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi

Well, what a wonderfull day im having today. Its my birthday on friday, and my parents said they would get my car lowerd. So, went to Factory direct tyre and wheels. $320 for king springs and instalion/wheel balance align thingo. i Droped it off at 8:30am, went back home and went to sleep. They called me at about 1pm. Hi david, umm just to let you know you will need new back shocks ($250) Manroe gas shocks or some crap, and 2 new front struts cose they are so stuffed its not funny. Well, as :) as could be, i asked for a damm price all up. $890 bucks all up. So thats $250 for shocks, $260 for struts and $320 for springs alignt etc etc. My god, i called up my dad, he was like "GRRRR IM GONA RIP YA HEAD OFF." Anyways, he went round there himself (about 20 min ago), some how got it down to $700 bucks. The point of this,If your gona get your car lowerd, then get the whole frigin thing done properly and at least have $1000 to spend. Get new shocks, springs, struts etc etc. My birthday present came at a damm high price.

I CANT BELIVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!.

#2 ·
i'd tell em to piss off and just install the damn springs.
but anyway, yeah i'm gunna be getting new shocks, struts and springs all together and install them with a friend.
the cost of instalation these days is a joke!

#4 ·
they didnt recommend a camber castor kit too, bridgestone tyres said "you have to get a camber castor kit (shim type) for $180 or else your tyres will wear real bad."
my car isnt even bloody lowered and all i put it in for was a wheel allignment.
WHEN i lower it, i'll look into it :p

#5 ·
typical suspension place, I wouldnt get it done, get a second opinion first. Obviously being 10+ years old the suspension is probably cactus, however never get work done based on ONE opinion, as John mentioned, put his car is for an alignment, they tried to sell him a camber kit

#6 ·
I put my car in for alignment, and got told tie rod end and something else was no good, but no charge as they said we cant get guarantee the work, I then went back same place about 2 months later or so, to get a wheel alignment, and they said lower ball joint was the problem, and same story no charge.

I did nothing in between as far as replacing parts or any maintenance, so there you go different story different times, so what do you believe and this was even the same place.

Dellboy999

#7 ·
well just picked up the car, it has new back shocks (shortend) new front struts and super low king sprins heavy duty. Now it handles like a dream, they even liped the guards up for me. Its so smooth and nice now im pretty happy. $700 bucks ant that bad.

#8 ·
now we want pics :)
should look awesome too!

#9 ·
Errm, i took my car EL Fairmont Ghia also to Factory direct in Essendon and they also told me i needed new front struts cos they were leaking. Showed my merchanic he said they were fine and are supposed to sweat a little.

so is this a standard line they tell every1?
Also while i was there, they left a screw driver under my bonnet when it closed it dinted the bonnet. Not happy Jan!. But his offered to do me what he calls a good price for my EL GT Rims

#11 ·
hey

yes , its best to get a writing and signed off before so work gets done, was there a garrentie if there slap happy factory you would want a bit of support if the front end falls out and you kill some one , dose your
insurance allow it. sorry to be a nerd but if the front end gives out and you slid across the road and take out a well to do(rich) young famliy they will nag you about it.

#13 ·
get the brushes done at the same time, goodyear didnt do mine and it shook the rest of the car loose, and fried the control arms...

bastards.

#17 ·
barry_v said:
^
|
|

thats why they always replace everything thats even slightly dodgy, if they dont people complain.

They didnt tell me that they needed to be done... and i think i have every right to complain about em'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.