Suspension El Sapphire 1998 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2004, 01:28   #1 (permalink)

Suspension El Sapphire 1998

I'm looking at a 1998 El Sapphire Wagon through a dealer. The suspension is very floaty. It needs new rackends, which the dealer will replace, but I don't think they will stop the bounce. Would this just be shockies or should I be looking at struts or a full steering upgrade? Is this a problem for EL's?
Also - its got 197000ks but is very clean and well looked after, $8990. What do you think about the price.? It's a private owner not fleet.

Any info would be great - a later model ford is a bit different to a 67 Valiant!
Thanks
Tuesday
tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2004, 05:46   #2 (permalink)
5 Litres of Fun

Re: Suspension El Sapphire 1998

The EL range, bar the XRs, were definately set up for comfort, not handling. Swap the springs and shocks for some stiffer units and you should be impressed with how well the EL can handle.
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 21:07   #3 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

With that many klm's it probably just need's a new set of shocker's.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 05:43   #4 (permalink)

my EL's a shocker!!! So floaty you feel like your in a boat! But it's going in next monday to get a nice little upgrade... looking forward to it!
Old 07-19-2004, 20:36   #5 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmont1998
The EL range, bar the XRs, were definately set up for comfort, not handling. Swap the springs and shocks for some stiffer units and you should be impressed with how well the EL can handle.
Amen.

I got the Tickford suspension kit (brings it to XR firmness and ride height) a few years ago and it made a huge improvement. The harsher bumps took a little while to get used to but the more stable ride more than made up for it.

Now I wish I had even firmer suspension...
Off-white EL Series II Falcon GLi Sapphire (4.0L Slothmatic™) with K&N Filtercharger, Tickford Sports Suspension, DBA Longlife Gold (front), DBA Longlife Slotted (rear) and Bendix Ultimates all round. Driven by The Slothman™.

Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, or the Ford Forums Food Bandits, where cruising, eating and talking shite is what it's all about. Click here to visit the official (albeit slightly outdated) website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team GT Media
We love having 3FB Inc guys around!
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 18:49   #6 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Suspension El Sapphire 1998

Thanks guys, great to have this forum for questions that a dealer will not give a straight answer over! I'm getting the car after all, and will put heavier shock and springs in if I need to!
Thanks again!
tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes