suspension problems for EA - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2004, 02:27   #1 (permalink)

suspension problems for EA

Hi all i got this shop a docket voucher thing for pedders for a suspension check and front wheel alignment done for 14 bucks, thinking it was a bargain i went down and got it checked out. 1 hr later guy came back with my car and gave me this list of things that my car failed and dubbed it un roadworthy. anyway here are some of the stuff needed to be done:

new front and rear shock absorbers
sway bar bushes
tie rod ends
steering gear
bump stops

they are for front and rear where applicable.
the guy offered to fix it all for me for a measily 2 grand incl labour !!! gasp
man i was in dis belief so here i am writing to all u ford fans to see what u think of this and the price as well.

well i just wanted to know also if some of the stuff i mentioned above is easy to fix by urself and if its really technical?

and if anyone know of any sites that show u on a step by step process on changing the shock absorbers for 89 EA farimont ghia.

ps the self leveling suspension system orginally came with the car was replaced with some crappy springs and shockers which is too high so im considering getting lowering springs from repco which i got quoted for 160 for a pair

anyway i hope u guys can help
EAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2004, 02:33   #2 (permalink)
Abuser of Charvels

Re: suspension problems for EA

Don't take his word your car needs all this work, get it checked by someone you trust.

Venom BA XR8 - 5spd - Leather - Premium Sound - 18"s - King Springs-SSL/SL - DBA Slotted Rotors & Ferodo pads
D.N.A.
FPV XR Owners Club ACT
Charvel/Jackson Guitars
Genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 02:39   #3 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Sway bar bush's are an easy fix, the bump stops shouldnt be to hard either.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 02:48   #4 (permalink)
Chasing down oil leaks...

I'm going to give the steering gear and tie-rods ends this weekend so I'll let you know how hard it is.. Doesn't look too hard from reading the workshop manual.. Just need to get a wheel alignment afterwards..

About the shock absorbers - press down on each corner of the car and let go - if the car goes down and back up and stops then they're fine, however if you press down and the car bounces a few times then they're probably on the way out.

Shop around on the spring prices, you'll get better than $160/pair. And if you are going to replace the springs and shocks then its much easier to do the lot at once seeing as essentially you are doing the some things for both tasks.

Dan..

Axeman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 16:08   #5 (permalink)

Yeah im going to shop around for the parts and im going to get hold of the gregorys car manual for the EA fords is that the manual u have axeman82?

i got quoted 240 for front shockers are they usualy that price i think they're from repco....they sound a bit expensive to me.

yeah ill get the springs and shocks done at the same time i presumed that u needed to take the lot apart anyway to change one thing.

keep me posted on how it went with the tie rod ends and the steering gear thanks
Old 03-12-2004, 16:01   #6 (permalink)

I got KYB excels struts for $130 for the front pair, $60 for the rear shocks and $190 for front and rear lowered Kings Springs.

Tie rods should take about 15mins to change, 30mins tops. Also don't bother with buying a pickle fork (seperator), just smash the knuckle holding the balljoint shaft with a heavy lump hammer once you have lossened the nut.

Also my brother is not very mechanically inclined and he changed his steering rack himself in 2 hours with basic hand tools.
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 22:11   #7 (permalink)
If Only I Had Lexus Power

Had you noticed anything wrong with the car to take it to pedders to start with
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ---- W 16 Configuration, Quad Turbo 1001 HP, 1250Nm, 4 Wheel Drive
redGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 01:03   #8 (permalink)

Um i needed a wheel alignment because my steering wheel is on sligh tilt for the car to go straight and i got this voucher thing for 14 dollars for a suspension check and free wheel alignment. they didnt give me my free alignment becuase tehy said i need to get those things done on my car first by them...sounds like a scam to me ...trying to get 2 grand of me from going there to do a 14 dollar suspension check

oh yeah not ford where did u purchase ur front struts and rear shocks and also the king springs from? the price of them sound within my budget and are they for a ford EA falcon/fairmont?
Old 03-13-2004, 03:52   #9 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Id be asking for teh free wheel alignment, then get a second opinion.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 05:09   #10 (permalink)

I bought them from GSA wholesale suspension in Woodridge in QLD for my NC fairlane.
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes