Ford Forums banner

suspension question.

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  glancer 
#1 ·
i want to clamp my springs down a bit to lower the ride height. will this damage my baby. its only temp while i save for lowered springs. i need to lower it now though(the ride height is too high) but when i use spring compressors, i only compressed them a little bit and the springs came out of the caps. if i keep going and clamp a couple of coils, will they sit in the cap things once i take the compressors off again?

#2 ·
This is BAD!

This is the same as cutting coils. By clamping them you are taking coils (or spring length) out of the equation. This means that the same car weight must now be carried by the remaining coils (or spring length). This may be over-twisting that section of steel beyond it's design limits.

This doesn't necessarily mean that it will break, it probably won't, what it will do is continue to sag because you have passed the point (elastic limit) at which it was still able to spring back to it's original position.

For the sake of better looks (that's why your doing it - be honest) while saving to buy proper lowered springs its just not worth it IMHO.

#3 ·
I saw this last night and i wasn't going to bother to comment as this is crazy !!!!!
Mate save your money till you can afford to buy the proper lowered coils then you're only half way there but at least heading in the right direction....

BD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.