Ford Forums banner

Swapping Brakes

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ZoNiE 
#1 ·
Yesterday, I had the opportunity to help a friend get his "basic transportation" 75 Maverick running. In the process I happen to to mention what type of brakes he had on the car. I was told the car had drum brakes on the rear and disc on the front. Hmmmm? Then he hinted at doing a swap telling me since it was his beater & it didn't matter what type of brakes he had on the car, just as long as it stopped. My Question - is this a straight across swap without any modifications? It sure would be nice if it was, because my four drum brakes take a little while to slow the car down after a full head of steam.

#2 ·
Can't say for sure but I've never heard of a Mav/Mustang swap so I'd say probably that it is not a straight conversion. Remember that your drum brakes might need attention if they haven't been properly maintained. Frozen wheel cylinders and collapsed rubber hoses are common problems that will seriously detract from the performance of ANY brake system. Often people neglect to pay proper attention to the rear brakes. Personally, I find drum brakes to be very adequate for normal driving. I've had my car for over thirty years and flush the brake fluid every five years. I've had zero problems and the pedal pressure required is very minimal.

#3 ·
Well, after some giving this subject some thought, I opted to stick with the 4 wheel drum brakes. The whole brake system, about 3000 miles ago, has been overhauled. Still takes a little more to stop the car than what I'm use too. Could be I'm "power brake whipped". Not sure though. All I know at this time is that it will take something away from the car called "originality"

However, SuperDave, I do thank you for your response. You are a scholar & a gentleman!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.