Swapping hand brake lever... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2003, 20:36   #1 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

Swapping hand brake lever...

Iíve bought the leather covered hand brake lever from a BA Fairmont Ghia to fit to my BA XR6. Now the question is how do you accomplish this swap?

I canít figure out how to get to the attachments with the seat in the wayÖ

Do I have to physically remove the drivers seat to do this, or is there some trick where you remove the entire centre console or just use a long extension ratchet to reach the bolts when the seat is in an odd location?

Has anyone done this on an AU or BA who can give me a clue to help me alongÖ

Cheers
Jason
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2003, 18:00   #2 (permalink)
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL

Re: Swapping hand brake lever...

On the AU, you used to be able to just slide the cover off ? I am not sure about BA, you could try to slide it off, it doesn't come off easily.
jaytyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 21:01   #3 (permalink)
Black 200kw wheel barrow

as youd imagine JR when it comes to AU interiors ive pretty much pulled everything apart, although this was because my original hand brake died

i would try sliding the cover off each of them to replace them like jaytyn has suggested, if this doesnt work then there are three bolts holding the mechanism to the floor of the car. you can get to two of the three with just an extension bar but the third one is underneath the seat rail which makes it a bit trickier!
i found by just undoing the front bolt of the seat rail that gave me enough movement to lever the rail up and slide a chock underneath to hold it in place, this gave me enough clearance to get to it, IIRC, with a spanner from underneath the seat

getting underneath the car (about the half way point) and disconnecting the hand brake cable will also make it easier to take it out

hope this helps :s6:
Old 10-05-2003, 22:44   #4 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

I've slid the cover off the handbrake on the AU, however it looks like a solid piece on the BA. My suspicions say that on the bA you'll have to maybe take off the bottom centre console section to get to the hand brake mechanics.

Is the leather hand brake the whole hand brake assy or just the lever?

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 21:26   #5 (permalink)

the hand brake cover cover slides over the lever, however there is a dab of bonding agent which secures the cover to the mechanism, just slide your hand between the seat and hand brake mechanism and gently prise it away, slide the existing cover off the slide your new one on, up to you if you glue the new one back - i wouldn't bother.
ilbcnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes