Ford Forums banner

Swaybars

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  TIKFD6 
#1 ·
At the moment I am fairly happy with the ride height of my car.. it is a bit soft and I shall end up getting king lows at some point, but what I'm really concerned about now is swaybars..

Firstly, does anyone know the standard diameter of Front and Rear swaybars for an EA?

I've been looking at Whiteline, and they offer the following replacement swaybars:

Front
Standard - 24mm

Rear
Standard - 27mm
Extra Heavy Duty - 30mm
Adjustable - 30mm

It's been suggested a few times that having too-thick/stiff swaybars can cause the links on the diff / body to crack, which is a bit of a concern, I guess you could always get either a new diff or weld something new on though?? I'm not sure this is a concern though, cause they wouldn't sell something that would damage the car.. would they? :p

Then theres the option of grabbing EF/L swaybars, which are obviously non-adjustable, and perhaps worn out (apparently they get more flexible over time??) I like this option cause it's apparently $40 or so for a secondhand set from JR..

Anyone have any experiance with the whiteline swaybars? EF/EL on EA-ED?

See less See more
#3 ·
hehe, wondered where this thread went :p Sorry I posted in E-series general, not thinking..

Ok, so you're suggesting that I should go up 4mm front and 2mm rear.. in fact, how does that work?

You're suggesting that the whiteline setup would go up 8mm at the rear (heavy duty) and down 2mm at the front (standard whiteline swaybar).. what the?!

Sure you didn't get your front / rear sizes switched?

#5 ·
Yeah yeah :p All I'm saying is.. the heavy duty rear swaybar from whiteline is 8mm thicker than standard (More than 33% thicker, if my maths serves me correctly).. thats just insane :p

And as for the front swaybar, standard is 26, yet whiteline only offers a 24mm swaybar for the front.. surely it cannot improve the stiffness by having a smaller diameter? Then again, they're the suspension experts, what do I know :p

#8 ·
Why do you advise against adjustables??

#10 ·
Ahah! I'm such a tool :p

Alrightly, I got the front / rear numbers from Whiteline mixed up.. :(

Now it all makes total sense.. 30mm front as suggested, $156 from whiteline. 24mm rear swaybar, also $156

$312 seems rather steep.. I might have to be tight and stick with the EF/EL swaybars :p

#12 ·
It's pretty much stock rideheight (spac springs at the back, but it sits the same height as the front which is stock... ?!)

The thing is, I live up in the hills, and the majority of my driving is windy roads, so swaybars seem the most sensible thing to replace (springs are a bit pointless cause they don't help so much with body roll etc, and they make the ride worse.. the mountain roads are pretty poor)

#13 ·
Springs actually do contribute a little to body roll, as it lowers the center of gravity and the fact they are stiffer is sell explanatory.
They do however, as you say, worsen the ride a little.

Shocks may also be a good thing for you, as a decent shock will improve ride and make it handle better. An excellent budget shock is the Monroe GT gas.

Rick.

#14 ·
Soxx said:
You have that ass about.
Standard rear is 22mm, and standard front is 26mm.
Throw on a 30mm front and 24mm rear, nothing cracks, they handle excellent, with almost no side effects. Don't bother with adjustables.

Rick.
The 30 front and 24 rear is a good setup Rick, thats what ive got on mine.
Even teh 27-24 mix is good but i got the 30mm bar at a god price.
You could always go for adjustable bars, but they cost more, but i cant see the use of them as they are a hassle to change, and after the novelty wears off, you will just leave them at one setting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.