Switching springs and shocks from EF to ZL fairlane - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2003, 00:54   #1 (permalink)

Switching springs and shocks from EF to ZL fairlane

I have been offered the suspension out of my friends EF XR8 for a rather cheap price.. He has done a couple of change overs before from EF-EA & EF-ED and they worked but he is not sure whether the suspension is compatible with older models IE my 87 ZL.

Cheers, luke.
krazyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2003, 01:52   #2 (permalink)
the shmang

hmmmmmm..............at a guess id say no is would be a strut type rear end and yours would be a leaf spring type rear end somhow i doubt itd even be worth trying to make it fit
ONE39L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 02:27   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ONE39L
hmmmmmm..............at a guess id say no is would be a strut type rear end and yours would be a leaf spring type rear end somhow i doubt itd even be worth trying to make it fit
Well for one thing ZL's have coil rear suspension

Krazyluke - you MIGHT get away with the rear springs as the basic setup on the sedans haven't really changed that much since the XE. The fronts though, definately won't fit as the E series have a completly different setup and the spring is a lot longer than the one on the ZL.

It might be better just to pay extra and get the right springs in the first place.

Cheers

Paul B
XR6WGN
Old 02-26-2003, 03:50   #4 (permalink)

The rear will certainly fit but remember the ZL is a heavy car which means it will sit very low in the rear maybe to low
Old 02-26-2003, 17:46   #5 (permalink)

yeah rear should fit but the front wont have a look at your front suspension and then his and you will see why the front are different.
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 15:38   #6 (permalink)
Australian XR Member

fairy sitting at 4WD height

You could try swapping it with some suspension out of a 4WD, there is a fair chance this suspension wonít fit but Iím sure it would be a fun time by all trying to fit it! Then think of all the fun times you could have in your fairy sitting at 4WD height. You could go camping, you wouldnít have to slow down for speed bumps, you could look at cleavage while sitting at the traffic lights, when you think about the possibilities are endless.
Thatís it Iíve talked myself into it, Iím going out next weekend to get quotes in turning my car into a 4WD, the first EF XR8 4WD!!
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes