T-Series Brakes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2002, 00:32   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

T-Series Brakes

I'm posting this because I understand that some SIII XR owners are probably going to experience similar problems -

At the 30,000 km service on my SI TE50 the guys noticed that the brake pads were down to their last 5,000 kms and measured the wear on the discs only to discover that they were worn beyond their permissible wear. After some intervention the rotors were replaced under warranty.
I've just had the 45,000 km service (I use 5,000 km oil changes) and we've repeated the exercise for the rear brakes - pads still had about 5,000 in them but the rotors were a throw away item.
Effectively what this means is that the rotors will not outlast the pads and whatever point you wear out your pads you'll be looking at replacement rotors (a $600 exercise). If you've had your pads replaced and you have the grooved rotors then please get the rotors checked if they weren't replaced.
After talking to a few experts it seems that the root cause of this issue is that the grooved rotors were created using the standard rotor and then cutting a 6mm deep groove in them. As the standard rotor has a wear tolerance of 8mm the grroves effectively cut the tolerance to 2mm or about the life of one set of pads.
As long as your technician is alert enough to check the wear there is no safety issue involved - it simply adds to the total cost of ownership of the vehicle.
I might add that I'm not particularly hard on brakes or tyres (nearly 40,000 km of pad life attests to that - and the rear tyres were replaced at 45,000).
Anyone with similar experiences ??
Regards
Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2002, 06:27   #2 (permalink)
wasa2

brakes

yes and no to your problems here
i have a ser 1 ts50 and have just had the front rotars replaced at 70,000 klms

pads on front , two sets third now in with the new
front rotars

rear , still original groved disc's new pad s at 70,000 klms making it the second set in now ,

i think its still over the wear limit other wise they would have replaced the rears as well at this service

problems so far have been 1 radiator (stuffed)
1 valley gasket set 5/02
1 rear oil leak
1 front oil leak
1 caved in jacking point
1 diff kit put into it
1 radio (no cass working)

and one other thing ive noticed , at 10,000klms on tyres , check the rear left aginst the rear right '
huge wear diff and at that point (2/3mm tread depthdiff) change the rear (flip on rims)tyres and youll get better klms on the tyres at this point of time

50,000 klms on the 1st setof sp9000 s ,im running p zeros now and the same wear problem has come up again
gaz has confirmed his are showing the same wear pattern (but hes not getting 50,000 klms either lol)
chow

wasa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes