Tickford Suspension vs ??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2002, 16:39   #1 (permalink)
Blown ED XR6

Question Tickford Suspension vs ???

Hi guys,

My ED XR6 has the Tickford sports suspension option. How good is this setup? Would it be worth replacing with some kind of performance suspension (I'd like to lower it)?
If so, what brands (if any) do everyone recommend?
And what would be a reasonable costing for a full setup?

Cheers people.
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2002, 17:00   #2 (permalink)

maybe you shouldn't listen to me, but i'd change it. tickford gives their cars a sportiER feel, but they still have to keep in mind durability and comfort. if comfort is not an issue to you, then DEFINITELY go for an aftermarket product.

i personally have a preference to whiteline, but other names worth a mention (springs) would be King springs, Eibach and Kmac. as for the shocks, koni all the way!

cost varies. so far, i've spent over $1500 on 6 springs (including a new pair of lower rear springs), shocks, swaybars, camber/caster kit and labour. you can easily get all this done for less money.

hope it helps ya a little bit.
Old 02-13-2002, 17:03   #3 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

It depends on either (a) how much you want to spend, or (b) if money is secondary, how high a spec you want to go.

I went for King Superlow springs and Koni adjustable shocks all round, and haven't regretted it for a second. Of all the mods I've done, it's been the biggest improvement over the stock gear.

I won't bother quoting how much I paid, as Kell (XR8Chic) will no doubt tell me she can get the same gear for 1/3 the price :s6: ie. ask her for prices!

So my recommendation is Kings & Konis.
Old 02-13-2002, 17:27   #4 (permalink)

Prices

This is a repost of my reply to a similar question someone else asked a while back.

Quote:
I got these prices a while back for my EB, prices are old (2000) but give you an idea.

Koni fronts are $470 pair, rears $280 pair
Capital Steering 02 6280 5243.

Bilstein Shocks Front Shocks Price $210 each
Rear Shocks Price $170 each
(Includes GST) Shipping costs $45 Interstate
www.quadrantsuspensions.com.au

This recent quote for a mate's EB wagon. $540 includes monroe "lowered shocks" f & r king springs and blocks

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 17:38   #5 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

I have a ED XR8 and I got Koni's and Low King springs all round, and it handles a hell of a lot better!!

The last time I was at wakefield, one of the guys out there was a previous driving instructor of mine (from a advanced driving course I did)... he jumped in my car to go for a few laps, and was REALLY impressed with the new suspension!!

As mike said - I can get very good prices.

For King springs and Koni adjusbles all round it would be under $750.
Old 02-13-2002, 18:07   #6 (permalink)
Blown ED XR6

XR8Chic, wanna buy em for me?? ;p

Hehe, thanks everyone, very very helpful. I'm now considering upgrading my suspension first before getting the extractors + exhaust...decisions decisions ;p
Old 02-13-2002, 19:36   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by XR8chic
I have a ED XR8 and I got Koni's and Low King springs all round, and it handles a hell of a lot better!!

The last time I was at wakefield, one of the guys out there was a previous driving instructor of mine (from a advanced driving course I did)... he jumped in my car to go for a few laps, and was REALLY impressed with the new suspension!!

As mike said - I can get very good prices.

For King springs and Koni adjusbles all round it would be under $750.
damn! why didn't i know you when i did my suspension. what would koni adjustables cost me kell? would you know?
Old 03-13-2002, 23:21   #8 (permalink)
removed as previously discussed!

pedders
kmac
whiteline (selby)
king
lovell

theres a whole lot

check www.whiteline.com.au for a rough price.. its the same as an EF im sure isnt it? :)
fUSiON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 23:30   #9 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Lovell have had financial troubles, and I think they currently undergoing management change. I had their super-low springs matched with KYB heavy duty shocks in my EA S, which were a good package.

I quite like the Tickford setup in my XR6, and until I determine the clearance I have left with the final body kit bits, I won't be touching the ride height just yet. Until the shocks are dead, I'll leave those too. Tickford don't engineer good suspension setups for the fun of it, so they are worth sticking unless you're really keen for sharper handling. Less insurance hassles too. Even if your insurance mob 'accept' suspension changes, they may rort you when it comes to making a claim.
Old 03-14-2002, 05:29   #10 (permalink)
1 bad 302

Just had Pedders Sports Ryder suspention fitted yesterday.
Bit early to tell how it wears, but it handles like a dream.
Went to the local shop with speedhumps this arve. Humps i used to clear are now a "NO GO" zone.

I'll check for damage tomorrow.

Life's a bitch.
dragonV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes