Tires...wat size...traction..etc.. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2003, 03:37   #1 (permalink)

Tires...wat size...traction..etc..

ok, i dont know much about tires...i want to know how i can get more traction in ass of my Forte Series 1 AU cuz at moment its friggin stupid!!! my mum drives...well like a mum...and she gets sideways around round abouts!! so something is wrong....is upgrading to 17" rims gonna help compared to the stock 15" rims i got(and hate) or will just increasing the width help at moment my tires are....'205's' shit i know...but thats wat i got wit car...ive only had it 3weeks so any help would be great!! cheers!!!
AUGASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2003, 04:07   #2 (permalink)

Re: Tires...wat size...traction..etc..

Hehe, u don't want to know what kind of tyres I think u should get...

But seriously, I've just bought a set of Barum Bravura 205/65R15's and they seem to grip pretty damn good! Good as in an EF I6 2grand clutch dump in the dry just bogs the engine, and it's possible to floor it in 1st gear in the wet! Don't know if they make a 16" version (I'm assuming u've actually got the standard 16" AU rims). They've got written on them:
Grip A
Temperature A
Treadwear 280
Best of all, they cost $74 each from KMart!

Has anyone else had similar results or am I just crazy?

If ur serious about killing wheelspin, nothing will do that better than an LSD, which should cost less than the 17's. Improves handling 100% too. Of course, an LSD doesn't look as flash.
Old 10-22-2003, 17:31   #3 (permalink)
Fords biggest Freak

It's the width you really want. Plus stopping the body roll of the car would help it take the corners a bit better too. So you could look at things like lowering, new strut bars, etc. I run Dunlop Le Mans 215/60 15's on my XF and have no problems in loosing grip at all. Can be expensive though. Normally $600 for 4 tyres and I got mine for $450 cause my brother worked there and the owner is the town Mayor and I just happen to work for the council. Extra discount.
Old 10-22-2003, 21:56   #4 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

What brand are the tyre currently ?

17's will help in the manner that you will reduce sidewall flex ( lower profile ), and when you hit 17" you more or less have to buy performance tyres (i.e. ones that don't suck). Of course they tend to get expensive at this point as well.

Depending on what the previous owner thought about tyres, they ones you have now might be the cheapest, nastiest, hardest nard ever rolled out - otherwise you mum just might be a hoon

But see if you can find out the brand / model tyre you have now, and we should be able to make a suggestion on a good alternate brand.

On your current rims, you probably don't want to go wider than 215's. I've always found that bridgestone G'Grids were ok ( especially for the price ), and my current kumho ecsta 712's are going fairly well too ( altho I'm not sure about whether they make em in 15's )
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 23:44   #5 (permalink)

sideways is fun...
benno5spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 04:21   #6 (permalink)
Dc_todd

I've got 225/60/15 on my ef xr6 on the back is nasty as you get hard as nail rubber that won't bloody wear out, they are what is left of a set of $100 a tyre rubber, now wait this is going somewhere, on the front, this is the comparison, I have a set of yokohama a529's in the same profile, and I can't get them fault, while the back is a lively as you like the front can steer it out of anything you like, the yokies were originally on the back but were just pushing the front round too much so the swap took place and I am now getting a set for the back as well well A539 at least as the 529's are not avalible anymore, in 225/60/15 these I can get for $147 a corner from blairs tyres, I don't know what state your in but the yokies are actually the control tyre for the modified prod sport racing series, that is a testiment to them. I don't know about anyone else but I swear by the yokies,

Just a little futher.....almost there..

Ahh Frank, Did you hear something?
Don't worry, it'll buff out.
dc_todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 03:19   #7 (permalink)
cArSiK

i dont know how you can dump the clutch at 2k on 205's and not have it spin but i have brand new 225's and even a hard launch without dropping it will spin the rears - maby you have a low diff ratio?
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 06:47   #8 (permalink)

Tyres are very tempermental things. Sometimes they're just in the mood. 280 is a fairly high treadwear rating so the tyre might be quite grippy. They're also brand new. I've currently got them on the front and found that they don't do as well as they do on the rears. Quite a bit of understeer, it's driving me crazy, but I haven't got the time to swap them back.

The reason might be that they're only good at forward/back acceleration but not sideways because they're so skinny. I do have a 3.08 ratio diff and a fairly stock engine so I'm maybe not putting down as much torque as u. But I've floored the damn things all the way through first in the wet and not spun. Banging it into second gives less than a second of spin. They are definitely good stuff for the money. I've had 225's that don't grip that good.
Old 11-15-2003, 22:23   #9 (permalink)

I have a set of 225/60 15's on my EA S pack made by FEDERAL and they have a treadwear rating of 400 and they grip quite well. They cost about $105 a corner.
OCT88EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 22:31   #10 (permalink)
cArSiK

as i said above , ive got 225/60's. Mine are SIME ERA3000 (not simex) paid $105 a corner with wheel alignmnet.....
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes

Related Reading: Tires...wat size...traction..etc..