Tyre inflation - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2004, 00:26   #1 (permalink)
Wannabe mechanic :)

Tyre inflation

I dunno if anyone really thinks of this, but.. tyres must have an impact on the way the car handles.. if they're too over-inflated you get less traction because on the middle of them presses down hard on the road, too under-inflated, only the outsides (or so the AAMI safe-driving course people would have me believe).. their suggestion was 38PSI on large sedans like the Falcon..

I already know the EAs handling is totally ****ed, and in the wet... well I dunno why I am still alive :(

What I am wondering is, do people sort've watch their tyre pressures much, and if so, do you find it does make much difference? I pumped mine up to 35PSI at a petrol station tyre pump about 4 months ago.. so I have no idea what they are really at now (petrol station pumps are meant to be really innacurate to begin with), but my know-all friend was all like "oooh, 38 would be way too high", so I settled for 35, even though its my god-damn car/life

So.. any ideas on good/bad PSI? Probably depends on type of tyres as well..
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2004, 01:05   #2 (permalink)
{';'}

Re: Tyre inflation

I just recently have tried to monitor the tyre pressure. I have been doing 36psi and 38psi in my 15" Yokos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 02:10   #3 (permalink)
400 kg ego

I've been running 35 on mine - and I have seen some strange things in my time, like tyres that appear fine but are drastically low on pressure, or tyres that look a little flat even when fully inflated.
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 02:45   #4 (permalink)
still around... sometimes

AAMI course people told me 34 psi. I try to keep mine at 32 or 34 (the marks on my tyre guage are all even ). Thats a 14" kuhmo tho. I know people who prefer 38psi, and some who swear 28 is better. I guess if you keep in mind the tyre manufacturers recommended pressures, then you'll be ok.

Jared

- T04b 1.15 A/R
- 3" zorst
- big cooler
- DBA slotted rotors
- 17x8 AJR Directors
- kings superlows
- megasquirt
- T5
- not quite finished...
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 03:57   #5 (permalink)
EFI 351c TD CORTINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman
I've been running 35 on mine - and I have seen some strange things in my time, like tyres that appear fine but are drastically low on pressure, or tyres that look a little flat even when fully inflated.
ive had that happen, be like oh better pump that up a bit it looks low, and it will be at 10psi.
i keep mine at 38-40psi all round myself
Old 05-30-2004, 05:06   #6 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

yeah - for near stock tyres about 36-38 is good.

for 'sports' tyres, or if you like to hammer your car, put more in - i use 42psi front and 38 psi rear, in my 15" tyres and now also my 17s.

if you know your wheel alignment is correct you can tell if your tyre pressures are too low or too high just by looking at them.

excessive wear on the inner and outer edges means the pressure is too low, excessive wear in the middle means too high pressure.

if you get wear like that, raise or lower your pressure about 4psi, then, once the tyre has 'worn even' raise or lower the pressure 2psi or so, and it should wear well from there.

thats of course assuming that your pressures are kind of close to optimum to start with, and it is a general rule of thumb, not some unwritten law.

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 07:54   #7 (permalink)
Wannabe mechanic :)

hehe, I'm not even going to bother with wear and tear...

My tyres are non-worn all round (like, just starting to age a little, after a year), except front drivers-side is almost bald around the outside from it understeering like a bitch when I go hard into corners, so instead of sliding it chews the tyre :( Shall have to swap them around some time before I start to see the innards of the tyre come out
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes