Tyres for XD - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2002, 06:49   #1 (permalink)
ESP Man

Question Tyres for XD

Maybe members of the Leaf Spring Users Group can recommend some rear tyres for my 351 XD sedan

It runs 8" wide x 15" rims x 65 series tyres. I don't want to get into low profile rubber as the tyres help fill the guards and also compensate for the 3.5 ratio diff. Also, the wheels are Bathurst Globes and I want to keep the appearance as original as possible which includes standard (ESP) ride height.

Any suggestions for something that sticks pretty well in both the dry and wet
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2002, 08:31   #2 (permalink)
Cobra188

shaynet ... 60 series would be good is say a 235 or 245. Dunlops do suit the Fords ... have a look at LeMans if they are still available in 15" ... they do everything you asked ... don't go away even when the tread gets down and are very predictable and easty to catch if you inadvertently go past the limit ... to top it off they are Australian made so not all the profit goes to the rice eaters!!! On the rear of an XD you would have to keep pressures down to about 24psi to avoid wearing the centres - this holds true for whatever tyre you choose on those 8" rims.
Old 06-13-2002, 16:14   #3 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Sheesh 8" rims, go to something like 275/50/15" (rear only)

You won't have to worry about keeping them underinflated because they are too narrow for the rims. Don't think of them as low profile just because they are 50-series. You still have ~5.5" of sidewall (50% of 275mm) and they will be 25.8" tall.

If you also have 8" on the front go a bit narrower, say 265/50/15. I hope you have power steering.

OR, if you are after something a bit taller 255/60/15's are available.
Old 06-13-2002, 19:52   #4 (permalink)

265 on front of XD would be a big ask I think, possibly defect material as they would protrude outside of the guard. I had 235/65 on 7" 12 slotters on my old XF and they were only just inside the guard.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 20:18   #5 (permalink)
ESP Man

Thanks for your input fellas

I checked with the tyre shop

Seems the choice for 235x60x15 is very limited with only Bridgestones @ $190 or Hanooks @ $150 available

Think I will go for the Bridgestones
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes