URGENT HELP PLEASE XF rear brake pistons wont compress back in - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2002, 15:26   #1 (permalink)

URGENT HELP PLEASE XF rear brake pistons wont compress back in

URGENT HELP PLEASE XF rear brake pistons wont compress back in.They are single caliper vented discs and the caliper is off.

I have tried my valve spring compressor as tight as i dare to compress the piston back in and hit it a few times with the hammerbut it dosnt budge. I even loosened off the bleed nipple (nothing came out). The pads were fully worn and metal to metal so maybe the hydralics have wedged the piston at some point of no return with say a seal out of the bore. Alternativley you guys may tell me they are always a problem.

What can I do the damn thing is my girlfriends and is jacked up blocking my driveway????????????
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2002, 17:59   #2 (permalink)

Lightbulb re-xf

Juilan , dont they screw in on the xf?
XC351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 18:14   #3 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

i think the xf brakes are similar to e series so get a monkey wrench and the piston depressing tool. put the piston tool on firmly (not too tight) then turn the piston anticlockwise with the monkey wrench. it takes a while, but it does work!!!!!

if you cant be bothered with this, goto auto one - they have a tool for $15 you can use...i guess most auto shop would have then though

if this dont work, the piston may have seized up - you may have to buy another caliper
b-juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 19:10   #4 (permalink)

Hot Eb are you saying they screw in too? Anyway guys thanks I will try rotating the piston anticlockwise whilst applying pressure.Not Sure how ill get a wrench and the compressor on at once but ill try.
Old 08-17-2002, 19:33   #5 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

yep i think they do screw in.

also, i just rememebered there was a thread in the e series forums about rear calipers....i think brent_79 started it outlined another way to release the piston....undoing a screw of something...not sure...but do a search ....
Old 08-18-2002, 00:25   #6 (permalink)
the man who cares

the front ones dont screw in
this may sound stupid but did you take some fluid out of the resivouir and try a g clamp on the piston
FMXer's XF ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 02:12   #7 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

yeah front brakes dont, but back do
Old 08-18-2002, 02:45   #8 (permalink)

Thanks guys. Its back together thanks to your help.They do screw back in.Im amazed. What a crazy system. The tool is $37 and is just a small fitting the diameter of the piston.What a rip off
Old 08-18-2002, 03:04   #9 (permalink)

thankyou hot_eb and others for the help you gave Julian this afternoon. My car is now fixed and I can drive it home and move it from his driveway. Lisa (Julian's girlfriend).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes