urgent help - superlows - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2004, 06:18   #1 (permalink)
I wanna eat your children

urgent help - superlows

after reading a few threads, i can see that a lot of people have this same question

ive got 2 sets of king superlows sittin here waiting to be installed into my 1990 tx5....i dont have the short stroke shocks, and have been told i can still put the superlows in and not have any dramas.

eventually ill get short stroke shocks all round, but will it do any damage if i install the superlows with the standard shocks front and rear?

thanks
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2004, 00:39   #2 (permalink)

Re: urgent help - superlows

u should be fine mate my au futura that i used to have when i first lowered that i only lowered it with superlow springs and standard shocks and it was fine then once i had the money i whacked in shosks and camber kit
regard from adam
WILD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 01:41   #3 (permalink)

its just that some people are saying they dont know about it on my car...something about the E series (and most likely AU etc) the shock holds the spring captive...whatever that means....

if the tx5 is the same, then i imagine it will be fine....i just dont know how to check if it does hold the spring captive...

i took some photos under the wheel arches before, so ill upload them, and maybe someone who knows about suspension can tell me if it wil be fine with std shocks
Old 10-04-2004, 02:40   #4 (permalink)

suspension city r the ppl who did my springs at them time maybe u should give them a call and ask them if they think itll be alright when i did mine they said it was fine
they do just springs at bob janes (hoppers crossing) all the time and i havent heard of them having any problems. i do know however that the holdens springs sometimes pop out when hoisted up but youd expect that from them lol
regards from adam
WILD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 09:13   #5 (permalink)
AUTS50 #012

No you dont need shorter shocks for your springs to stay captive, the standard ones are good enough with superlows on a '90 TX5, front and rear. For EA-EL falcons with superlow front springs, King recommend fitting shorter shocks as there is no travel for the standard shocks. The spring is captive, but there's no travel and the car sits almost on the bump stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILD6
i do know however that the holdens springs sometimes pop out when hoisted up
That's exactly what is meant by the springs being captive. The spring/s must not move when the car is off the ground, and is unroadworthy if it does.
012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 12:18   #6 (permalink)

so augzmk...are you saying that i can have just the springs with stock shocks and they wont pop out when the car is hoisted etc?
Old 10-04-2004, 19:07   #7 (permalink)
AUTS50 #012

Q: so augzmk...are you saying that i can have just the springs with stock shocks and they wont pop out when the car is hoisted etc?

A: Yes. You can have just the springs with stock shocks and they wont pop out when the car is hoisted etc.
012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 19:49   #8 (permalink)

thanks mate! you have made my day! i was starting to think i was gonna have to fork out for shocks sooner than i would have wanted!

with this information, the car (if its up to me) will be lowered by the end of the week...just ringing around for some quotes, and as it stands, goodyear is shitting on pedders by over $100

just 1 more question augzmk as you seem to know your stuff. what, if any are the negatives with having stock shocks with superlowS?

so far all ive been told is that they will age quicker..

thanks again augzmk, and anyone else that offered help
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes