URGENT->Wheel spacers - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2004, 07:13   #1 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

URGENT->Wheel spacers

Urgent.
ive found a mad deal on some 18s, only problem is theyre for AU-onwawrds Fords (arent all the good ones!).
Im gonna buy an AU next year anyway so im really looking hard at em. The solution- wheel spacers?

I know theyre illegal, but im driving without a licence (lost twice), no rego and a soon-to come turbo so im too worried bout the legality lol.

How do they work?
How much?
How potnetially dangerous? I know theyr fine for street and obviously not for drift lol, but where could they go wrong?

Thanks, ill post pics if i get em

Just another Eseries...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2004, 09:16   #2 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

Re: URGENT->Wheel spacers

Umm, this will probably be locked soon, but yes they are dangerous. The wheel studs aren't meant to take any weight, the spigot in the centre of the wheel does. I have heard of a couple of people who have snapped the studs off.

You can get spacers made up that do support the weight properly, they would need to be custom machined.
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Old 10-13-2004, 09:24   #3 (permalink)
.au member

Goodbye thread! (very soon)

spacers can break, which isnt good to say the least, specially if you're doing 100+ kms. Also, 18s would put your speedo a fair way out.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:51   #4 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

Hmmmm, thanks i did a bit of looking around and if you get hub spacers then theyre alrite, legal and everything.

Glad to see im not the only FF bum surfing at 2 in the morning lol. Thanks guys

Why would the thread be locked? Im sure lots of people would be interested, nothing wrong in giving out the info, especially if its not completley safe

Just another Eseries...
Old 10-13-2004, 10:02   #5 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

By the way, i foundem to be a bit too thin at 18 X 8 inch and found you can get em widened as in extra width welded on. Sounds dodgy hey hehe. But if this guy can do it legally with his GT then im sure i can too.

FPV 18" x 9" REAR WHEEL RIMS

Just another Eseries...
Old 10-13-2004, 14:37   #6 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

I'd see the thread being lock due to the discussion about an illegal modification intended for the road.

The only 'spacer' that is safe IMO is the one that bolts to the hub and has it's own studs that the wheel bolts too.

So when you aer driving your turbo'd unregistered car without a licence and a wheel comes off and kills someone. You will be in jail for so long that cars will not have wheels when you get out!
Stereo by ///Alpine
Old 10-13-2004, 14:53   #7 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

wheel spacers in the states are not illegal, but in AU I dont know the laws concerning.

Will let a mod of this area handle it.

As far as spacers are concerned. I run them on my cobra for the rear. I am running hubcentric 5mm spacers with extended tip lugs. Basically extended tip lugs have a piece that at the end that will allow you to thread the lugs on further.

To safely run spacers and not worry about the bolts taking thebulk of the load or for that matter not being threaded enough you need the extended tip lugs and you will need to make sure that you can get at minimum 6 complete rotations of the lug on each thread. Anything less and you will be looking at the studs breaking off.

Here is a pic for you.

Old 10-13-2004, 14:54   #8 (permalink)
known as tibbo

i use custom machined billet ones.. they are 2" wide fastened to the existing hub with standard nuts and have another set of wheel studs pressed into the spacer.. There is also a machined lip protuding out to support and locate the wheel.. The guy I got them off had not heard anything about legalities in Qld anyhow.. Take that with a grain of salt though as he was selling them to me..

I have not had an issue with mine and the two mechanics I showed them to pre-purchased both agreed that chances of a failure was zero..
Old 10-13-2004, 15:16   #9 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

There are other spacers out there that you can buy from H&R that are hubcentric and up to 40mm thick if i Recall right. These you bold on just like regular wheels and then bolt the wheels to the spacer.

Just a thought.
Old 10-13-2004, 15:32   #10 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Goodbye thread! (very soon)

spacers can break, which isnt good to say the least, specially if you're doing 100+ kms. Also, 18s would put your speedo a fair way out.
18's will not make the speedo read wrong. Don't forget the bigger rim diameter equals lower profile tyres. It is the overall diameter which is important here, not the rim diameter.

I also don't see any problem at all with properly made spacers, why they are illegal is beyond me.
About 18 years ago, I used them for ages one of my cars without even the slightest of problems.

Rick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes