Weird noise on AU3 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2004, 00:25   #1 (permalink)
Australian AU Forte Member

Weird noise on AU3

Hi

I own a 20,000km old AU3 Forte which has been suffering from a problem ever since I bought it. It's still under warranty but the service dept hasnt been able to figure out what the cause is.

After starting the car after it has been sitting for a while, or especially, each morning, the engine purrs and the car seems generally healthy.

But I get this horrible creaking noise around the first few left hand turns from my place onto the way to work. As soon as I turn into the corner a creaking noise comes from under the car and its cyclical so it sounds like it is happening with wheel revolutions.

After the first few left hand turns it goes away. Its quite embarassing how loud it is.

The service dept havent been able to replicate it (I think I need to leave my car there overnight) and have been unable to find the problem.

Has anyone heard of anything similar? I also notice my power steering is pretty shitty (it occasionally makes a cracking noise, like bad CVs on a FWD car) and it gets heavy sometimes at certain spots in the turn.

Thanks

Adam
adamw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2004, 01:58   #2 (permalink)
Dodgy EA

Re: Weird noise on AU3

My car makes some crazy creaking sounds, im pretty sure my steering rack is buggered. I go through quite a bit of power steering fluid too.

Could it be steering rack bushes or something??
Old 02-07-2004, 02:45   #3 (permalink)
known as tibbo

Check: 1. sounds like the rack is coming loose... the thread in the aluminium sub frame is not upto the job.. you can put a nut on the bolt after it goes thru the sub frame to fix it permantly... although 20k is only a baby ..
2. the spring saddle on the LHF.. is the tyre catching on the inner lip at all?.. i found all my AU2's and 3's catch on the passenger side,, run your hand inside the wheel arch and make sure the lip is at 90' and not kinked or rippled
3. Although on 20k i guess it is possible the lower ball joint is starting to fail.. Does it sometimes sound like its almost out of pads? I have replaced them on cars with 50k but not 20k..

Let us know how you fair
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 02:55   #4 (permalink)
gone

I know the S2 had TSB for the steering rack, wonder if it was fixed with the S3
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 04:01   #5 (permalink)

Mine is a very early S3 (11/01) so I guess its possible that it wasnt' fixed by that stage.

Adam
Old 02-09-2004, 17:54   #6 (permalink)
3FB's Peter Pan!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laminge
I know the S2 had TSB for the steering rack, wonder if it was fixed with the S3

This might be obvious but whats 'TSB'?
Old 02-09-2004, 18:56   #7 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

I am guessing the main noise you talk of is the left rear wheel, my dads AU doesnt creak, but squeeks, he had new disc's put in and it went away, but is now back, I reckon it's disc warping, but anyway, hope you get it fixed, it is anoying, and Ford cant seem to find anything either.

Jason

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 19:11   #8 (permalink)
100MPH Hunter

It could be steering rack issues, take it back with all these questions, and don't leave without answers

AUII XR8 (200kw), Silhouette, Body Kit, Hawk Wing, 5 Speed man, Premium Brakes, Premium Sound, Genie Extractors, 3" exhaust with twin 3" tips, K & N filter with air scoop, Polished Inlet manifold, MAF & 70mm T/B, T series interior handles & Gear stick ring, Chequer plate, Momo Pedals.
TwinPiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 19:11   #9 (permalink)
Mulberry Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellboy999
I am guessing the main noise you talk of is the left rear wheel, my dads AU doesnt creak, but squeeks, he had new disc's put in and it went away, but is now back, I reckon it's disc warping, but anyway, hope you get it fixed, it is anoying, and Ford cant seem to find anything either.

Jason
Our AUII squeeks and makes a really strange kinda bell squeek. It used to be when it was cold...now its basically all the time... the only way i've been able to fix the noise is by turning the stereo up :/

Ditto with ford - NFI
blueraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 01:51   #10 (permalink)

Appreciate the feedback all!

Steering rack sounds likely. I can't believe how bad the power steering is (my dad's EF power steering is far better). There must be something wrong with it. Either way, I might ask to borrow another AU while I leave it there overnight to see if it suffers from the same piss-poor steering problems.

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes