Ford Forums banner

What brake pads you guys using?

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  XplodBoom 
#1 ·
I gotta get some new pads for my EBII, just wondering what other e-series owners are using/recommend. Whats the best "bang for your buck" pad? I dont want to spend heaps, but i dont want to go cheap either. I just want a good set of pads. Thanks.

#2 ·
I have Bendix Premiums up front.. I love them :) But, unfortuantely, I have these "Maxi" pads on the back.. I HATE THEM because they start screeching badly when I do continuous braking and low-speed driving (peak hour traffic..). Apart from that, they could be alright, and it may just be because I tend to break hard.. Anyway, I would suggest avoiding the maxi pads anyway. (Also, I got the discs machined after I had the maxi's for a while, it stopped for about 2 weeks, and is back stronger than ever now)...

#3 ·
juarez said:
I have Bendix Premiums up front.. I love them :) But, unfortuantely, I have these "Maxi" pads on the back.. I HATE THEM because they start screeching badly when I do continuous braking and low-speed driving (peak hour traffic..). Apart from that, they could be alright, and it may just be because I tend to break hard.. Anyway, I would suggest avoiding the maxi pads anyway. (Also, I got the discs machined after I had the maxi's for a while, it stopped for about 2 weeks, and is back stronger than ever now)...

Do the maxi pads absorb well and dont leak? :p :hehe:

#4 ·
Got some Protex Pads (seems to be imported from Taiwan) last week, so far the pads are acceptable in terms of stopping power and the price is cheap as dirt (60 bucks supplied and fitted). But its asbestos construction may be not v. good for your mechanics' and your health (if you do the brake pads urself).l..............

#5 ·
i hate asbestos pads of any kind they are rip offs badly constructed squeel and carry on..

the pads i use at present are known as metal 2 metal cause i dont have any..lol this thread will come in handy if i run out of braking distance..DOH!

#6 ·
I've got bendix advance pads and cant really complain about them. So far they've worn really well considering how badly I've been treating them lately and I've never encountered any brake fade so far. They're also not overly expensice in my opinion, I think it's around $45 for the rears and $55 for the fronts.

My mate has the Bendix Performax pads in his EA and I can say they feel and perform really well, yet to find out how well they wear but they've been great so far. But for the extra money I'm not sure if they're really worth it considering they're around $80 a pair.

As of the end of this year it will be illegal to sell any friction material for a motor vehicle that contains asbestos so if you want those cheap and nasty pads you better stock up quick

#7 ·
Ya, I've got those advance at all corners of my last car, they do the job well, last pretty well and are reasonably kind to the rotors................Ferodo Excel (those Kmart pads) are worth considering, stops well, last well and cheap as shit, but you'll need to tackle with the heavy brake dust.....................

G
#8 ·
XplodEd EA said:
I've got bendix advance pads and cant really complain about them. So far they've worn really well considering how badly I've been treating them lately and I've never encountered any brake fade so far. They're also not overly expensice in my opinion, I think it's around $45 for the rears and $55 for the fronts.

My mate has the Bendix Performax pads in his EA and I can say they feel and perform really well, yet to find out how well they wear but they've been great so far. But for the extra money I'm not sure if they're really worth it considering they're around $80 a pair.

As of the end of this year it will be illegal to sell any friction material for a motor vehicle that contains asbestos so if you want those cheap and nasty pads you better stock up quick
I also have bendix performax up front, and i swear by them.

#9 · (Edited)
I too have bendix pads, they are great for stopping my ea fairmont extremely quick - i tested them the other day from 125km/h to 0km/h - they and the disc (this will never happen with drums - no e series has this thou - drums lock easier than discs) stop the car be for i can press the pad hard enough to lock up any wheel

my cousin has a vh with front discs and rear drums - REALLY BAD COMBINATION - it takes him about and extra 12m to stop than me at the same speed, note my ea weighs about 1500kg, his vh weighs 1200kg
note disc/drum combs lock easier than all disc becasue of different pressure needed to apply the 60/40 front/rear split that the brakes are set at
also ea-ed have to brake system - one front and one rear 60% front 40% rear
if one system fails the other will continue to stop the car - just an extra fact i thought i would share

so i highly recommend bendix pads, just what for brake dust for the 1st 1000kms or so

and it might feel like you have worn discs - but thats the new pad aligning itself

hope that helped, michael

#10 ·
go into the shop and ask for the softest pads they've got. My mates VL had these "performance" discs on the front, full metal ones. the braking was so bad we swapped them for soft ones. I cant believe that someone would pay 3x the price for a disc that had so little braking power. its got the crappy rear drums too..

#11 ·
Xploded EA. When you say they cost you $45 for the rear an $55 for the front was that for each corner or for the pair? By the sounds of it Bendix is they way to go?

#12 ·
That was for a front set and rear set (4 pads in each set, 2 each corner), you can only buy pads in front or rear sets and you should always change both sides when you change the pads

I cant remember if they were the exact prices but they should be around that

#13 ·
Oh ok, Thanks Xploded EA

#14 ·
I've got those Bendix Metal pads on the front and just standard Bendix on the rear. I wouldn't recommend the metal pads. I bought them for when I went dragging at Heathcote and they were alright for that but unless you heat them up heaps with heavy braking, they are pretty shitty. I reckon the Bendix Standard pads are better. IF these metal pads ever run out, I'll replace them with the Advanced ones I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.