What causes brakes to squeak? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2004, 22:48   #1 (permalink)
Cleveland Powered

What causes brakes to squeak?

Hey guys,

I have an XB Hardtop & the front disk brakes squeak like buggery when they get hot. I can drive for hours on the open road without an issue but driving through town for 20mins results in my car sounding like a government bus.

I've seen the products sold at auto shops that claim to fix the problem but I don't know whether to believe them or not.

Any opinions on a fix? I'll just buy new pads if that's the easiest way out.

Thanks

Old 08-22-2004, 23:02   #2 (permalink)

Re: What causes brakes to squeak?

I've got this problem as well except it is just about everytime i brake... i just changed the pads and that is when the problem occured, one of my friends told me that the pads 'shine' up a bit and this causes them to squeel... he just suggested taking them off and roughening them up
Quote:
<mrmkII> a tick bit my nuts!!!!
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 05:40   #3 (permalink)

Brake squeal comes from pad glaze. It's easy to quick-fix the glazing, just buy a can off spray-on goop from the brake shop.

Your problem -- should you wish to entertain it -- is to figure out why the pads are glazing. I used (mid '70s) to have a very nifty little mid-engine sports car and the only way I could solve the problem was by going to a very soft pad. The nice PBR man told me the problem was that with some pads people just can't work them hard enough to keep them glaze free. I'm surprised to hear people still have squeal problems, I thought it had been fixed long ago. Have you "upgraded" your pads for "better" performance?
gordon451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 05:48   #4 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

All brakes make a noise but usually at a frequency you can't hear (what would expect rubbing a friction material on a fast rotating disc). And for the cures see my answers and the links here: Brakes - how do ya Stop them squeeking??
Old 08-23-2004, 05:57   #5 (permalink)
Cleveland Powered

Thanks for the info guys. I actually have no idea what pads are in it. I haven't touched the brakes since I got the car as apart from the squeaking they work great.

I'll try the suggestions & see how I go.

Thanks
Old 08-24-2004, 03:03   #6 (permalink)

i'm not sure what type of pads i've got, they came in a red box from super cheap.... they were having a sale and the pads were running a bit low so i thought i'd buy some and my dad showed me how to put them on... now i just gotta leanr how to do the back pads... btw should front and back pads be changed at the same time? i dont think they should be as the front ones wear quicker
Quote:
<mrmkII> a tick bit my nuts!!!!
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 02:00   #7 (permalink)
Death by Ford

The squealing noise doesn't come from the pads rubbing on the disc as such, but more of a result of the action. If it came from pad material rubbing on the disc it would do it all the time. The noise comes from the metal on metal contact between the caliper piston and the brake pad backing. It can also be caused by the metal on metal contact between the metal of the pad and where it slides, sits or is retained in the caliper body. Ever heard the noise a non lubricated wheel nut can make when tightening a standard wheel? Or even a rusted bolt or nut your trying to undo? A rusted gate hinge perhaps? Put any metal to metal contact under high pressure, throw in a vigorous back and forth movement and bingo, a hideous high pitched squeak, squeal or squealing. From experience, Rubber back pads almost never seem to squeal.
CLEVELAND JUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 19:39   #8 (permalink)
Blueprint BA GT-P

If your brakes are a sqeakin' you know they're a workin'.
grotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 03:18   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F˘rdFan86
i'm not sure what type of pads i've got, they came in a red box from super cheap.... they were having a sale and the pads were running a bit low so i thought i'd buy some and my dad showed me how to put them on... now i just gotta leanr how to do the back pads... btw should front and back pads be changed at the same time? i dont think they should be as the front ones wear quicker
na you just haveto replace them when they wear out... front and backs can be done seperatly but if u do 1 front u gota do the other side asewll.... same with the back
lowrida56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 17:57   #10 (permalink)
ford is king

my xf did this for many years,changed pads to a softer set no diff,,then i had all four rotors machined and replaced the slide pins,,all sweet after that and it stopped a lot better to.
athol35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes