What the hell is that noise? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2004, 02:11   #1 (permalink)

What the hell is that noise?

Hi guys,
About a week ago I noticed a ratling noise coming from the rear right wheel. It's a 'jangly' metal on metal sound. I've been rolling it down the street in neutral and trying to work out what the hell it could be. It's def the back right wheel. if I hit the tyre with my fist I can hear the noise a bit.
Took it to a local mechanic they couldn't tell me what it was apart from it didn't make the noise when the car was hoisted off the ground. They said at a guess it could be a bearing but it's not making a normal dead bearing noise.
Just been under it now and if I hit the drum brake casing with the end of my torch I can here the noise.
Any ideas? It's driving me nuts. The car is a 1970 XW Falcon. Appreciate the help.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2004, 02:40   #2 (permalink)
5 Litres of Fun

Re: What the hell is that noise?

Just a stab in the dark, do you have wheel covers or wheel trims? Some of those rattle like buggery.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:49   #3 (permalink)

Was wondering that myself, but they're 12 slot GT wheels. There's no cover apart from the small inner hub cap. I've removed that and the noise is still there. There is a bit of brake fluid coming out as well... but I've put that down to the car being old…
Old 12-13-2004, 03:31   #4 (permalink)
mmm..Vee 8

something may have broken within the drum brake housing?? A wheel cylinder or something along those lines perhaps and is rattling around..may explain that leaking brake fluid as well

Extreme

5/1994 ED Futura Classic 5.0 in Polyneisan Green - One of the last ever built
Old 12-13-2004, 03:55   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for that... you're probably right. Will get it looked to. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_2020
something may have broken within the drum brake housing?? A wheel cylinder or something along those lines perhaps and is rattling around..may explain that leaking brake fluid as well

Extreme
Old 12-13-2004, 05:08   #6 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Could also be the top shockey bolt has come loose, I had a noise in my EB that sounded like someone ringing a bell, and it was the top shockey bolt, it had come loose and the washer was rattling around.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:57   #7 (permalink)

Yeah I thought it might have been as well, because I first heard the sound when I hit a speed bump. The top shockey was bloody loose but even after tightening it the noise was still there, so it wasn't that.... hmmm a mystery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9psi EB
Could also be the top shockey bolt has come loose, I had a noise in my EB that sounded like someone ringing a bell, and it was the top shockey bolt, it had come loose and the washer was rattling around.
Old 12-13-2004, 15:11   #8 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

one of your rear leaf spring clamps may be loose. these are the ones that keep the spring pack together.
Old 12-13-2004, 15:36   #9 (permalink)
I know what I don't know

Another "test" question is, can you reproduce the sound while in reverse? If it only happens in forward, then it's probably related to the shoes or linkages or springs (yes springs). If it happens also while in reverse then start inward with the grease seals and bearings and mating surfaces near the studs and the drum and lastly the eveness of the lug nuts; maybe one lost a chrome cap.
Old 12-13-2004, 22:20   #10 (permalink)

I get the same noise in reverse as well. Why would this rule out shoe or linkage and spring issues?
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool1
Another "test" question is, can you reproduce the sound while in reverse? If it only happens in forward, then it's probably related to the shoes or linkages or springs (yes springs). If it happens also while in reverse then start inward with the grease seals and bearings and mating surfaces near the studs and the drum and lastly the eveness of the lug nuts; maybe one lost a chrome cap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes