Ford Forums banner

Wheel repair

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  EBXR 
#1 ·
Could anyone tell me if it is possible to repair mag wheel that has been scored.[I caught the edge of the wheel on the steel guide of a laser carwash,it's obviously not designed for low profile tyres].It has taken the coating off a small area, the marks aren't too deep in the base metal.

#2 ·
I repaired mine (azueos on a TE50) with the tyre still on the rim by filling with plastibond filler then sanding then spraying with metalic mag wheel paint. You would never notice as long as the spray can is a reasonable match. Cost me bugger all. Even if you dont do a perfect job the brake dust and road grime will disguise it after a day or two. If you dont get it right first time sand it back and retry. Only do the vertical surfaces so tape the edge where it goes non vertical. Dont try and do large parts of the wheel besides the affected vertical surfaces, Dont paint till you have filled and sanded well enough that it feels flat and perfect when you run your fingers over it.

Good luck its satisfying when done.

#3 ·
I have had an alloy wheel repaired after it came in contact with a solid object, killed the tyre and flattened the rim. A local wheel repair business repaired it, making it round again and refinished the edge. They did a great job to the extent it was better than the other three... So I ended up getting them done as well.

There are businesses out there that do it - go quote shopping!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.